Linksys Wireless Router Settings

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spiko, Dec 15, 2004.

1. spiko

spiko OT Supporter

I have a 802.11b wireless router hooked up to 2 computers, is there anywhere I can go to find the most secure settings for this type of router. I just updated the firmware for it also. Thanks.

2. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

There's a few things you can do...

Turn on WEP and setup a passcode
    Change default SSID and admin password
    Turn off broadcast on SSID
    MAC Filtering
    Limit the number of addresses (DHCP) the router gives out

That's all I can think of. I know that others will come in here and say that none of this is that secure, which in part is true, but more than enough for the average home user...

3. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

The only secure computer is one that has not cables, network, power, USB, mouse keyboard etc...

Security is a measure of how hard you make it to get to the data on a machine, use the machine for improper tasks, or eliminate use to the proper people...

What cmsurfer has listed will keep all but the most dedicated person out of your network. You should be more than safe unless you have information/usage on that network that is really valuable. If that is the case you probably should not be running a wireless network nor internet access without some type of stateful inspection (at the least, not asking OT how to secure it).