Linksys router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by drcrappants, Jan 11, 2005.

1. drcrappants

drcrappants Guest

Im on a static cable connection (Altrio) and i heard that if you change the MAC address, IP will change also. Does anyone know what exactly to change the mac addy to? i tried it a few times, and only 1 successsful. the rest were disconnections and unable to connect to internet problems.

I also heard that linksys is really capable of changing your ip, even static. can anyone verify this?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

ALL routers can change ips. *however* if you're assigned a static ip, then you should NOT change it w/o authorization from your ISP.

3. drcrappants

drcrappants Guest

can i just say im getting a router for my bday and just installed it today and didnt knoiw o.o

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

:rolleyes: consider this:

You change your IP to something that's already been assigned and YOU won't get internet access, and the user who's IP you jacked won't get it either... That's grounds for termination under the AUP of your ISP.

Stop being a dumbass.

5. rightdownupleft

rightdownupleft New Member

well considering the mac address is burned into the nic you dont really need to change it?? whats the reason for changing your MAC??

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

some ISPs record MACs and will only issue an IP to the corresponding MAC. This was a common practice a while back when ISPs required in-home professional installation and they wanted to limit people's ability to use routers. MAC-cloning made those attempts useless and most ISPs have given up.