Linksys Router

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by vcoke17, Dec 7, 2004.

1. vcoke17

vcoke17 New Member

I had a Linksys router set up for about 2 years and everything worked perfectly, and last week I disassembled my computer setup. Now I am trying to set the router back up and it doesnt work. Could the router have lost all of the settings since it was unplugged or is it something with my computer I need to change? Thanks.

2. skybreaker

skybreaker Guest

if you didn't cut the router's power it should have kept your configuration settings.
    does administering the router (usually 192.168.1.1) work?
    if not, you may want to reset the router and try again.

normally the router recognizes every PC hooked up to it when you re-plug in the cable(s).

3. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

Who's your ISP? Roadrunner recently updated the firmware on their cable modems, rendering most routers useless when connected directly to the cable modem. The solution is to put a network switch between the cable modem and router.

If you can connet to the router's admin site, but just can't get out to the Internet, get yourself a network switch, run an ethernet cable from the cable modem to the "Uplink" port on your switch, then run a second ethernet cable from one of the numbered ports on the switch to the "WAN" or "Internet" port on your router.

I ran into this problem with my dad's network and drove myself mad for three hours before finally calling Linksys tech support and going through everything again with them until they determined (as I had) that the router and the cable modem were working fine on their own, but were experiencing this "compatibility issue". A $30 Linksys 5-port switch not only fixed the problem, but their connection is now significantly faster than it ever has been in the past (from ~1200k to ~2800k).

I tried it on my own network when I got home and, while I wasn't experiencing a total lack of connectivity as they were, my connection speeds are now much more consistent and I am no longer experiencing connection dropouts when downloading large files or watching streaming video.

4. MobileSuit

MobileSuit New Member

I'm experiencing problems with my Linksys router as well. I've got a wireless router with the wireless turned off. I have my laptop and my desktop plugged into it and it plugs into the university ResNet.... but I cant transfer files. I can ping both computers, but I cant access the workgroup on the desktop. The Laptop can see the desktop but not access it it says the network path does not exist.

Any ideas?

5. vcoke17

vcoke17 New Member

I have tried to reset the router and replug all of the wires. I can get on to the linksys router site but not onto the internet. So is my best solution to get the network switch and is it easy to set up and install. I have Comcast cable too not roadrunner.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2004
  6. Wolf68k

Wolf68k OT Supporter

Comcast...there's the problem

7. maczter

maczter Life is trying things to see if they work.

no guarantees, but i would definitely try a network switch.

they're a piece of cake to hook up. you'll also need to pick up an extra ethernet cable if you don't have an extra already.

once you have an extra cable, and the switch is plugged in, just run an ethernet cable from the cable modem to the "Uplink" port on your switch, then run a second ethernet cable from one of the numbered ports on the switch to the "WAN" or "Internet" port on your router.

Once everything is hooked up, unplug the power to the cable modem and wait a minute or so, then plug it back in and you should be good to go.