Linksys Router + Static IP?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by kcarlson78, Oct 10, 2003.

1. kcarlson78

kcarlson78 Meanwhile, Jesus continued to shake his head in ex

OK.. so I'm tinkering with my own little server.. and I want it to of course always have the same IP address within my LAN..

The way I understand it.. the router assigns IP in a first come first served manner..

how do I make sure my server always has the same IP?

hell, I could be talking gibberish here for all I know.. pointers and/or links are much appreciated..

2. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

ya you can setup a static IP, I can with mine...

go to your router's page http://192.168.1.1, and log in...then you get this:

Local DHCP Server: Enable / Disable
    Start IP Address: 192.168.1.
    Number of Address:
    DHCP Address Range: 192.168.1.100 to 192.168.1.149
    Client Lease Time: minutes (0 means one day)

disable it and setup each computer statically....

the gateway = router's IP
    the dns server = your DNS server

good luck

3. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Disabling DHCP entirely is probably the easiest way of doing this. If you want to get fancy, you can specify a range of IP addresses the router is allowed to give out. Then assign your server a static IP address that is not in the range of the DHCP addresses you told the router to use. You don't have to mess with any other computers other than the server and when your friends come over to plug in, they'll automagically get an IP from the router. But if you're not sure what you're doing, then definitely follow Leb's directions...

4. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

Makes good sence, I agree with you now, seems like a better idea, I dont belive he would have to change any configuartion on the router, just check how many are available to the DHCP server, say it's 50, then do simple math, if the start is 192.168.1.100, then add 51, so it's 192.168.1.151, and use that IP address statically...should work fine

5. Astro

Astro Code Monkey

Same concept as how I've got mine setup. DHCP is served off my Linux box though (pretend its off the router). Router has a static internal IP. Two servers and 2 desktops have static IPs and then anything else can go and fetch an IP when needed. The first 50 addresses are for static use and the next 100 would be available for DHCP. In a company setting, this ratio could be fiddled with depending on how many clients/servers there are.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

You can also use reservations - you give it a series of MAC addresses and it assigns a specific IP address to each MAC address. It's a little more clever since you can change DHCP options (like gateway and DNS servers) and have them propogate to the IPs as well. This is handy when you have a number of servers - one server ain't gonna break your back.