Linksys router not working?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Jay487, May 6, 2008.

1. Jay487

Jay487 What's Life If You Ain't Enjoyin' It?

Installing the latest linksys wireless G router (WRT54G2) for a co-worker and it will NOT get an IP address from her cable modem. I've powered everything off and powered them back on in order (modem, then router) - numerous times. I've tried flashing the router firmware. The internet connection works fine when you go from the cable modem right to a computer, but cable modem to the router, and the router's status page is all zero's and if I DHCP release and renew it wont pick anything up.

I thought it might have been a bad router so I tried it at my place, and it worked instantly. I have the same ISP as my co-worker, only difference being she has a time warner "3-in-1" package meaning her digital cable and phone line are also through this company. I'm not sure if that has any effect or if possibly her cable modem is not compatible with this router? But for whatever reason the router will NOT work there, and works fine at my place, on the same ISP. She's in an apartment complex and theres other people in range with wireless networks, so other people have routers working (linksys ones too) Could it be something in her cabling? What gives? Any help appreciated :noes:

2. Jd

Jd Active Member

Wirelessly posted via wap.offtopic.com (Mozilla/4.0 Sprint:MotoQ (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; Smartphone; 176x220))

First, I would contact Time Warner and see if there is a difference in the cabling when a user has the 3-in-1 package compared to just the basic cable Internet setup. I doubt there is, but ask anyway.

Next, try another router. I'm assuming she just purchased it, so take it back an start over from scratch.

There could also be a bad cable running from the modem to the router.

3. Jay487

I tested that router at my place, so I know the router is good. I've also switched out cables and have eliminated the chance of a bad cable. Did you mean another router as in another brand? I suppose... but there's other people in that complex that are on linksys routers :dunno:

4. cmsurfer

cmsurfer ºllllllº

Was there ever a router hooked up before?

Have you tried the clone MAC address option in the router setup?

5. red

red New Member

The obvious:

1. Make sure that the router is connected to the modem via its WAN port, if it has one (many routers are auto-sensing these days).

2. Re-verify that a machine connected to the modem can acquire a DHCP address, and that you haven't simply disconnected a cable or thrown the modem into standby mode accidentally when switching.

3. Hard reset the damn modem, and give the router a few minutes / refreshes. (Some modems have batteries these days, you'll have to unplug them for a few minutes. Just hitting reset won't cut it)

4. Call tech-support and bitch. At the very least, get them to verify that your little light-brigade is in the proper configuration.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

first, encourage her to ditch the time warner phone. It's a piece of shit. My parents have time warner voip and I told them not to call me unless it's on their cell phones. They hear me just fine (so quality sounds good to the people paying the bill) but I hear them as being very choppy and they cut in/out...

secondly, clone the mac address.

7. Jay487

That's what it ended up being... it had battery backup in there and although it appeared to be refreshing it wasnt.

8. red

red New Member

:bigthumb: