Linksys router keeps losing connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DarqueGT, Jan 15, 2005.

1. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

I have been using a linksys hub for my network connections.....i'd basically run from the cable modem to the computer NIC, and then from another NIC to the hub and then to another computer. I decided to dig out my router and set it back up and I am having the same problems that I was before. It would work for a day or two and then I would lose all connection. I could still access the router's configuration but I couldn't ping any outside addresses. i'm using Windows XP Pro right now if it makes a difference and the router model is BEFSR41. It's just a basic 4 port router. Any computer added to the network is set to automatically obtain IP addresses.

the only thing i can figure is that roadrunner uses a DHCP server and my router is set up for as the same. so whenever roadrunner renews the IP address through the DHCP, it's conflicting with the router....but I don't know too much about routers. When it goes down though, it doesn't come back up unless I go back to a regular setup with the cable modem going directly to the NIC.

i'd greatly appreciate anybody's help with this. I need to use the router if possible.

2. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

If the external IP address changes, it should affect the internal IPs set by DHCP. I had (till it died) the same router, and when my Ext IP changed it would never cause any problems with my connection.

Go to the Linksys site and search their knowledge database. Usually plenty of information there to solve any problem, and I seem to recall a thread about Roadrunner (and most every ISP out there).

http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/linksys.cfg/php/enduser/std_alp.php?p_sid=INaWPBvh

3. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

It's linksys... this is to be expected.

But how often does your IP change? I had RR for 4-5 years and my IP changed maybe 3 times.

4. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

looks like i need to clone my MAC address so that the router reflects the same as the cable modem. after it went out, i was wondering if that was conflicting with things. I'll try this in the morning and find out for sure. I appreciate the help guys.

5. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

Sounds like every other person who blames an Linksys router for their problems. Someone who has no clue about networking. You cannot clone the MAC address of another device on a network... You should not have the same internal address scheme as the external address...

Update the firmware on the router. (not necessary but good idea)
    Reset the router to factory defaults.
    Connect it to the modem.
    Set the computer to DHCP.
    Reboot Modem, Router and PC and life will be good.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I don't blame linksys for peoples problems. But that doesn't change the fact that Linksys products are over-priced crap.

Actually, you CAN clone the MAC address to a system attached LAN-side. That is the *entire point* of offering MAC-cloning features. :coolugh:

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

And neither help solve the problem... He has the router and wants to use it, price has nothing to do with it. And to clone the ID address on the LAN side does not mean a thing to the modem. The whole point of a router is to route traffic between two networks, the LAN and WAN in this case. (Not to bring up the discussion is a Linksys router is really a "router".)

8. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Just to clear up confusion regarding MAC Address cloning. It's primary use is to "trick" the cable modem into thinking that you still have your old computer hooked up to the cable modem directly. This is because most ISP's register the MAC address so you don't grab more than the subscribed number of IP's you are allowed. By cloning the WAN side of the router to the same as the computer that was directly connected to the modem, the ISP doesn't know the difference. If you try setting up a router after you have connected the maximum number of IP's allowed by your ISP, it's very likely you won't be able to get an IP.

9. Chaotic Reality

Chaotic Reality New Member

i didn't read the thread, but upgrade your firmware if you can.

10. DarqueGT

DarqueGT New Member

cloning the MAC address seems to have worked. thanks for the help guys!