Linksys Parental Control Issue

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by chivas, Nov 21, 2004.

1. chivas

chivas Guest

I recommended the Linksys WRT54GS router to my friend's aunt since she has a 13 year old and would like to "overlook" his activities. I installed it without his presents (i even configured the router using my laptop so there wouldn't be any traces of accessing the router) and setup his account for him. That was yesterday morning. Last night i decided to see how it's working and to my shock his access level was changed from Youth to Adult! i'm wondering how in the world did this happen. So i then changed it back to youth and customized his access. the little nut went into his profile and allowed himself adult content (eventhough it's showing youth) so at a glance, it looks like his profile hasn't changed.

what i understand after getting off the phone with linksys is that if he resets the router, Parental Control would be turned off and it hasn't; it's still tracking where he's going and things like that. So what i want to know is if there's a backdoor into changing a person's profile in this Parental Control that i'm not aware of? it's not looking good for me right now that he knows how to do this afterall it is my recommendation to purchase this HW and the Parental Control.

2. Hua

Hua AZN photographer crew

Did you leave the default router password in place? ;)

3. chivas

chivas Guest

nope. that's the first thing i changed when i got into the router.

4. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

I've never seen a router that had effective parental controls. But a backdoor for changing the profile isn't good. Hope you get it sorted out.