linksys hacked firmware

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by spoofy, Oct 22, 2005.

1. spoofy

spoofy Chemically Enhanced

Has anyone been able to switch to the Alchemey Sveasoft firmware? I have a wrt54g and every time I try to update the firmware.. it says "upgrade failed" it seems that maybe linksys is blocking the firmware switch or something.

2. Penguin Man

Penguin Man Protect Your Digital Liberties

What advantages does this firmware offer over the original? The only alternate firmware that anyone I know runs is OpenWRT, which is a version of Linux for the WRT. It's nice because it provides extensive control over port forwarding and such (with iptables) and you can compile various handy things on it.

3. spoofy

I am doing it because I need WDS support. Linksys claims to have WDS support but it seems to ONLY work with linksys devices. And I have a airport express.

I am directly wired into the router when trying to do it. But no matter what alternate firmware I use.. it says it failed. but I am able to put the latest linksys firmware on with no problem.

OpenWRT has no gui..and is not nearly as robust as the Alchemey firmware.

4. spoofy

Got it working. I had to call linksys and find out where the old firmware is.. once i downgraded the firmware to 3.0...something. I was able to upgrade to the Sveasoft firmware. Which now works with my airport express .

YAY