Linksys Bullshit

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by BIGsteev, Mar 22, 2010.

1. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

I have a Linksys wireless WRT54GS router, and it can't seem to keep a strong signal, through wireless or wired connections. I had the same problem a few months ago and solved it by upgrading the firmware, but I've tried doing it again it nothing changes. I know it's a pretty cheap router, but does anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this?

2. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

3. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

4. Chris

Chris New Member

5. Supernaut

Supernaut New Member

To be honest, I dropped DD-WRT a couple of years ago for Tomato. Tomato has been more stable and has all the features I needed without any of the bloat. I did use the PPTP server on DD-WRT, but now I just use an SSH tunnel instead.

6. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

What do you mean it doesn't keep a strong signal through a wired connection? I agree with the other posters about DD-WRT/Tomato, but I think you might be blaming the router for something else that is happening.

7. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

I agree.
    What he said doesn't make sense. Moar information pleese.

8. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

This might not be the best way to test the signal, but when I do online speed tests (usually the time warner cable one) I get really poor upload and download rates. This has happened a couple of times, and both times I called the ISP and they told me there was no problem with the signal that was arriving to the modem, so that it was most likely a problem with the router.

Typically if I reset the router, whether by cutting the power or pushing the reset button, once it comes back the speed test gives gives me upload and download rates that I pay for, about 6.5mb/s down and about 250kb/s up. If I do the speed test a few more times after that I can just watch both of the rates decrease, most often down to about 800kb/s down and sometimes as low as 65kb/s up. I don't really know what the problem is, but my ISP seems to think that it's not them. We use our internet mostly for browsing, and occasionally for video games, mainly starcraft and modern warfare 2 (for ps3), but neither of the games are really playable anymore because of the internet problems.

9. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Tell them you want a new router then for those exact reasons. You've isolated the problem to a repeatable scenario, that should be good enough for them.

10. djshotglass

djshotglass New Member

the router is probably his

If it drops wired connections and you have ruled out your computer replace the router.

11. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

Stop.

Earlier you said you replaced the firmware (or you updated it...) to make it run better.

Why and who told you to do this?

We need to know something. This is critical to this discussion.

Do you have a seperate box that is the cable modem?

Here is the easiest way for you to answer this.

The coax goes into something. That something has an ethernet cable coming out of it.
    If it is a cable modem then that thing only has one ethernet port and it won't have any ability to do wireless networking. You will have a cable running from that device to an actual router.

If the coax plugs directly into a device that has multiple ethernet ports and it has wireless functionality then you have a hybrid modem/router that Time Warner issued you.

It is critical that we know which you have.

12. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

he already said wrt54gs, none of them have cable, therefore there must also be a modem. next time it is slow try rebooting the modem and see if that also makes it go faster :dunno:

13. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

bypass the router, plug your computer right into the modem. reboot the modem after you plug in.
    run your tests for several minutes. if you speed is steady, tells you that you either have a failing router, you have an issue with the wireless adapter on your computer, or you have someone leeching your wireless
    if you speed still steadily fails when plugged into the modem directly, it tells you that you might have a failing modem or pull signal levels over cable

14. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

I did that stuff. The speed was exactly what we pay for. I can't just leave it plugged into my computer because I have a roommate who uses the computer. When I reset everything (modem and router) and connect the modem to my computer the connection is steady. When I reset and connect through the router I can literally watch the connection deteriorate over about 3 or 4 speed tests.

I don't really want to buy a new router, but if that's what has to happen, what would be the best one? If I do buy a new one I'll probably spend a good amount so that I (hopefully) don't have to deal with this again. Any suggestions are welcome (except probably for linksys ones, I don't think I want to deal with them anymore).

15. dorkultra

i have a couple of linksys wrt54g v2 routers with ddwrt on them
    i also have a linksys wrt54g router at work that has tomato on it

even though you said you didn't want to deal with linksys, i could let them go, pm me if interested

16. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

If the speed goes to where you want it when you take the router out of the loop then you probably need a new router.

I wouldn't hold this against Linksys. This could have happened with any piece of equipment. These things have a finite life span.

17. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

If that's the case then I would definitely rather go with another company. This router was bought about a year and a half ago. In my opinion that's not a long enough life span. It doesn't help that my parents had pretty regular difficulty with their linksys until they switched.

18. Stilgar1973

Stilgar1973 New Member

To put it another way.

Whatever you want to believe buddy. Linksys is as good of a brand as any other.
    Those WRT54G routers have a lot of clout among techies for there ability to run homebrew code and such.

I am sorry you have had a bit of bad luck.... but luck being what it is.

19. CodeX

CodeX Guest

So buy a new router and be done with it. This is an open and shut case.

I have a linksys WRT600N and love it, no problems whatsoever.

20. crontab

crontab (uid = 0)

have you even tried to see if the router is compatible with wrt based firmware?

21. eideteker

eideteker Who jarked off in my frakkin' coffee? OT Supporter

If you are militantly anti-Linksys now, get a D-Link router. Here's a list from Amazon of the best reviewed routers, and here's a list from Newegg. It might be worth going to an 802.11N capable unit for future-proofing.

22. dorkultra

23. BIGsteev

BIGsteev New Member

Thank you for the suggestions. I guess I'm not completely anti-linksys, it's just the frustration talking. I'll look into those though, thanks again.