Linksys 802.11B home network problem

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by NisAznMonk, Nov 15, 2004.

1. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

There are 3 computers at my parent's house. 1 is hooked up directly to the Linksys wireless router via cat5 cable, while the other two are using thier wireless network adaptors. I've never had a problem with the setup until tonight. :squint:

The other 2 computers "see" a linksys network, but they'll never connect to it. What could be wrong? :confused: The computer I'm using right now is the one connected directly to the router via cable. :sadwavey:

2. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

did you try releasing and renewing yet?

3. Nefarious1

Nefarious1 Guest

Renew everything first. If you don't know how, on each wireless computer goto start > run

type the following (not the <enter>)

cmd <enter>

ipconfig /renew <enter>

You might do driver updates on all machines and see if there is a firmware update for the router as well. Updates tend to fix a lot of problems.

If you are using WEP encryption, sometimes it can fowl up. You may disable WEP and see if you can get on the network again. If so, setup wep with a new code and join both wireless connections to it again.

4. NisAznMonk

NisAznMonk New Member

I tried that, but it keeps saying "media disconnected" on the other 2 comptuers (which are laptops). The adaptors are connected, but I don't know what else could be wrong. I'll look at the firmware this week to see if that'll help. Any other ideas? :x:

5. 98R-1144

98R-1144 V8 4.2L AWD = All Weather Fun

is DHCP enabled on the router? how many clients did you setup the router to allow?

is the wired computer using DHCP or a static internal IP? what about the 2 wireless laptops?

did u try shutting down everything (modem/router/computers) for 30+ secs and powering them all back up in the same order i just listed?

6. IAMwhitey

IAMwhitey New Member

media disconnected??? are you looking at the wireless network card or the internal card?

can you ping 127.0.0.1?

7. Keyzs

Keyzs OT Supporter

start
    run
    cmd <enter>
    ipconfig /all <enter>

Post the results.

8. tehshocker

tehshocker New Member

Just Powercycle the Router that should fix the problem, but like mentioned above post results from the Ipconfig /all

9. DaIceMan

DaIceMan Jack Bauer > *.*

did you recently install SP2 on the 2 computers in question?

I've had similiar issues since SP2 install and I was talking to a tech buddy of mine tonight and he said it could be a DNS issue. Might be something to check.