Links to information about average testosterone levels in males please?

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by toconnx, Jun 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. toconnx

toconnx New Member

My endocrinologist says that my testosterone level (300 mg / l) is average for males my age (19) and that testosterone deficiency isn't what's causing my text-book list of low-testosterone symptoms. Everything I've read here and elsewhere says 300 is more of the norm for guys about 70-80, and that most guys my age have a testosterone of 600+, usually 800-1000. Does anyone have any links to information that back this up I can show him?

2. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

300 is low, what time of day was it tested etc?

have it re tested, see a new endo

if all else fails see mikes doctor

3. pt

pt New Member

300 is (unfortunately) within the normal range

4. toconnx

toconnx New Member

early in the morning, around 8:30 - 9am each time. It's been tested and retested 4 times since early December and won't budge, this is my last time going to see this endo. I've already gotten a second opinion, the guy pretty much straightout accused me of using steroids after I told him I didn't, so I said I'm not going to sit there and be accused by a doctor of doing something I've told him I didn't, and I'm certainly not giving him my money and walked out :hs: they never billed me though, so that's cool :bigthumb:

I've called about 10 endcrinlogists in the area and there's a 2-3 month waiting list for all of them - which i couldn't do while i was at school since I was 2 hours away from home without a car. My endocrinologist said he's going to have me going to a urologist after this because he doesn't know what the problem is. If testosterone isn't causing my problems, I don't know what could be. 300 being normal is bullshit as far as im concerned, I can't have even have sex with my girlfriend unless it's a good night because I dont get hard enough :hs: If that's not grounds for HRT, I don't know what is :(

5. pt

pt New Member

What was the breakdown on the bloodtests.. SHBG, Free test... etc..

6. toconnx

toconnx New Member

And if people don't have articles saying 300 is low, can someone link me to articles saying that 300 is grounds for HRT? I know I've read on here sometime before articles about doctors who give HRT to people with testosterone <400, I just want to go in there with something to say "hey, look, there are other doctors who are doing this for people with testosterone higher than me, i clearly have the symptoms of it, why can't we consider this?" I've been searching and researching myself on google forever now, and I just can't find anything :(

7. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I don't remember at the moment, I go in to see him tomorrow so I can give ya the numbers then. I remember my prolactin was pretty high, that was on the second test he ran, it was something like 22. That's when I went in for an MRI to check for a pituitary tumor. On a retest it dropped to like 17 though, which he was happier with. I don't understand why he would think there could be a tumor form having prolactin 2 points higher than usual, but not consider the possibility that i have testosterone deficiency with a testosterone hundreds of points under the norm for a guy my age.

8. pt

pt New Member

His focus was most likely on Free Test.

Are (or were) you on any medication at all ? Especially anti-depressants ?

9. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Nope, nothing. I was taking whey protein and a multi, which he instructed me to stop taking - and I have despite knowing it's not doing shit to alter any of these tests.

The newest round of bloodwork done 2 days ago tested for lutenizing hormone, free test, total test, SBHG, and prolactin. I'll find the results out tomorrow.

10. pt

pt New Member

Fucking doc's :fawk2: . . . so your doc did bloodtests 3 times already but waited until the 4th time to check Free Test / SHBG / LH ?

:wtc:

11. toconnx

toconnx New Member

no, he's checked this stuff before, he just keeps rechecking to see if it's going to change. As far as i recall, my numbers are all smack in the middle of the range of normality, except for my testosterone level. I'll come back tomorrow evening with exact numbers for you if you'd like.

12. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

free test is more important than total

13. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Okay, he's checking for both. My free test was somewhere in the low 100's I believe?

14. jokka

jokka OT Supporter

:ugh:

15. toconnx

toconnx New Member

A+ response, I look forward to reading more of your comments.

16. SteveO

SteveO Guest

go talk to Mike's endo

17. toconnx

toconnx New Member

My insurance only covers health care inside the state of connecticut :hs: otherwise i would go to wherever he's from to, trust.

18. pt

pt New Member

Just a FYI... Androgel would have been around $30 / month for me... (that's just the copay)...

19. Zaffir

Zaffir OT Supporter

How did you guys find your endos - just a recommendation from your general physician?

20. toconnx

toconnx New Member

I was referring more to doctors visits, as in if i went to a doctor out of state, it would be ridiculously expensive.

21. transistor

transistor Well-Known Member

anyone know if test and hgh are related? if i have low hgh would that mean i likely have low test too?

22. AznRyda

AznRyda キモかわいい!

I should get blood work done.

23. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

No.

24. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

free test is also greatly effected by fatty foods etc, so make sure you haven't eaten before the exam.

25. toconnx

toconnx New Member

Yes. Total test was around 300 and then free test and some other test were both in the 100's. Unless I have free and total mixed up. But there was 3 testosterone's tested for, 1 was in the 300's and the other 2 were both in the 100's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.