MIL Linguists in the Marine Corps ?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rodthrower18, Jul 22, 2005.

1. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Just wondering if knowing Japanese is going to help me once I get in the Marine Corps. Im by no means fluent right now but im SLOWLY working on it(really hard when you dont have a class offered at ur school). Or any other languages for that matter. I know this is a confusing ass question but try to answer as best u can , my wording has been off alot lately.

2. kidhero

kidhero not really a hero, really just a big fat phony

3. kidhero

long answer:

if you can't speak a language conversationally to begin with don't even bother mentioning it. unless you already know the language it doesn't even matter. would it help you in terms of getting linguistics as a job? no. because the point of going to DLI monterey is to learn cryptography and language the anavy way.

linguists in the marine corps primarily deal with arabic, russian, and korean. unless your MOS specifically deals with those languages knowing them would not let you earn money or anything else.

when will knowing another language help you? down the line after you're in the marine corps letting your supreriors know you're capable of another language might potentially help you. if you're deployed to any particular area and you know the local language that's always helpful. if someone needs rough translation than you'll be helpful.

however to my knowledge just because you know a little bit or are learning a language won't necessarily help you out with anything. i know mandarin chinese, taiwanese, and spanish and got tested (hearing and reading comprehension) for two of those languages (taiwanese isn't recognized) and passed with proficient scores during boot camp and it's listed in my SRB but it doesn't help with anything.

understand that in the military things needs to be accountable. meaning just because you know a bit of something unless you are certified or accredited by the military it's worthless. for example if you translate something on the fly as a favor for someone and down the road that translations turns into a fuckfest someone somehow has to be accountable.

so the point is: if your job isn't linguistics don't worry. if you don't know a language already don't get too concern with it. in the long wrong, it doesnt' matter.

4. Capitals

Capitals Guest

to make a long story short, knowing japanese won't do you anything in the marine corps execpt get you some ass if you happened to get stationed in japan. :hsd:

5. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Sweet so im still learning Japanese :naughty: , Capitals you say it like its a bad thing, should I be worried about something?:noes:

6. kidhero

not even. okinawa is NOT japan. the girls you meet in okinawa already wants to fuck a marine and most likely has been fucked multiple times already. you head outside of the island and onto other places and it's different.

just because you know japanese and is white doesn't make you any more attractive. marines are fucking idiots. they crash their cars into japanese people and rape little girls. it just takes one to ruin everything for everyone else.

but i'm not sure what real use learning japanese, or any language for that matter, has in terms of being a marine. there's a big chance you won't even get stationed in okinawa.

7. Rodthrower18

Rodthrower18 New Member

Lol dude im black. Calm down man I realize that Oki is not Japan and that they originally have their own language and culture, I was only joking around. I was led to believe by several NCOs who have all been stationed at Oki at least twice(uncle included)that they are often looking for volunteers to get stationed there b4 they pick ppl. I thought that you are a Marine, so why the "Marines are fucking idiots" thing? Not tryin to start anything here just curious. Ive always wanted to go to Japan(well ont always but since I was 11 or so) and no not to fuck asian girls like so many ppl always try to say. I actually have a great deal of respect for te culture and the people there, and have plans on trying to get a Katana commissioned(part of my reason for wanting to get stationed there since it takes so long to make one). Thats enough rambling about nothing from me tho, hope I didnt offend you or anything with the above post man.

8. aphoric

aphoric Even if god did exist, it would be necessary to ab

Anyone else here a linguist, or is it just me? I had a Marine and an Airman in my class and they learned the same as me. They teach nothing of cryptography in Monterey, you learn how to utilize your language skills to support the mission at Goodfellow AFB. Even if your job does not relate to languages, you can still earn pro pay (FLPP)

9. kidhero

the white thing was just to fleet marines i've met in general. all they talk about is fucking nip this fucking jap that or ching chong bing bong whatever.

and oh you'll learn this after awhile in the marine corps: marines are fucking idiots. smart individuals that collectively has their intelligence degenerate in a second.

10. Capitals

Capitals Guest

he's not lying about the girls already wanting to fuck marines, but theres a hell of a lot more marines than there are available girls out there so knowing japanese will deffintley push you over the edge.

the rape was one incident years ago, only NCOs and above are allowed to drive in okinawa, and for the record most of the girls out here prefer dark skin over white. :mamoru:

11. citus

citus New Member

I'm in the Army and I am an Arabic linguist. DLI not only does NOT teach cryptography, they also only teach you MSA [Modern Standar Arabic AKA useless] (with very little dialect familiarization) in the Arabic basic course. When I went through DLI the course was 1 1/2 years, but I heard that they are thinking of extending it and teaching more dialect.

As for Japanese, the only people that I heard of learning Japanese at DLI were officers and reserve / guard members. Japanese is not on the critical language list, so it will not get you anything special, unless you want to try to be a liason officer or something along those lines. You would have to take the DLPT [Defense Language Proficiency Test] though in order to qualify as actually knowing the language, just saying that you studied it is not enough. The DLPT consists of reading, listening, and an Oral Proficiency Interview (Speaking).

Linguistics are fun I suppose, but I would not recommend going into linguistics if you actually want to get to do anything. When I joined the Army my main goal was to go to Iraq and kill bad people, I thought that Arabic would be my ticket over there, well I was wrong. Hopefully I'll be getting attached to 10th Special Forces Group though within about a year and a half or so, then maybe I can finally get to do something.

12. Capitals

Capitals Guest

What do you do?

13. citus

citus New Member

I sit in a dark room all day, doing some of the things that it has under my job description on goarmy.com. Look at MOS 98G for a brief and somewhat honest description of my job.

I should be heading back out to DLI in November though, for a year of advanced Arabic. Then I am not sure, maybe to 10th or 5th group.

14. Capitals

Capitals Guest

Ever see anything interesting?

15. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

10th groups primary languages are the slavic and european languages so most likely you wont go to 10th...

16. citus

citus New Member

Yeah, I know 5th group is the main unit for us, but 10th group has quite a few Arabic linguists as well.

17. aphoric

10th group used to be Russian when I was in. My office mate was a 96b in 10th and I was a 98g in 3rd ACR. 3rd ACR was converting to Arabic when I got out. I had a buddy who was a 98g in group and they actually did shit, but he was on a SOTA. We wanted to trade slots since he was married and I was not, but my commander was a prick. We were both 3/3 and high 200's on PT, so his fucking OER would not have suffered... OK, getting off track here...
    Anyway, you get to do foreign weapons training and ski/snomobile in the winter, so it's more than sitting in a SCIF all day and gotta be better than picking up weeds and cigarette butts and painting rocks. Finally this year I have a nice corner office with a view of Pike's Peak, kinda makes up for all the subterrainian living I did when I was younger.

18. citus

citus New Member

That's cool, yeah I meant SOT-A. So are you still out at Ft. Carson now then?

19. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

yes they do, you are correct. SF is being using to the max right now. all the groups are invovled in iraq or afghan no matter wat their area of responsibilty is, therefore they have other languages tat are usually not in the group typically currently

20. aphoric

I am still in the Springs, but I am a contractor. My boss was an Arabic linguist on Rivet Joint and we got a few other linguists in the company. I am assuming you are stranded at GRSOC.. that sucks, I gotta go to Kunia next month, that doesn't suck.

21. citus

citus New Member

Yeah i'm at the GRRRRRRRRRR-soc. I don't really like strategic missions, I didn't join the army for that, I wanted to go tactical, now I finally have a chance and I really don't want to pass it up.

22. aphoric

Well, just try and avoid III Corps... Group is pretty good, nice barracks, good chow hall... plus the unit is cool too. Our language lab was in the same area as theirs, they had all these tall, hot eastern European women, we had an old Ukrainian dude.