Limiting the speed of a shared connection

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Dr. Arbitrary, Sep 10, 2004.

1. I'm sharing my internet connection with my roomate, for free... just because I'm a nice guy. He's been abusing it, constantly downloading movies and stuff, and I'm pretty sure he's not protecting himself from detection, and I don't really want to have charges pressed against me because of his stupid ass. Is there any easy way to limit his download and upload speed to the bare minimum needed for AIM and e-mail.

I've got a wireless internet card in my laptop and he's connected using a crossover cable. I appreciate any advice... I'll just have to kill him if I can't find a passive-agressive way out.

2. Rob

Rob OT Supporter

The easy way to solve a problem like this is to.....gasp.....tell him to stop.

No consumer grade routers can do any type of traffic shaping or QoS which is what you would need to limit his speeds.

3. OmniFire

OmniFire *************************

Option 1: Change options on his computer network card to Force 10 half duplex while he is away.

Option 2: Make a gateway with some sort of bandwidth moderator or proxy

Option 3: Buy a 200 dollar router with port throttling

http://www.bandwidthcontroller.com/

4. tuner

tuner I know you're thinking bacon and eggs.

If your router supports it, block all ports except 80. That wont stop all DLs but handicap him enough for him to prolly say WTF. Then tell him to stop DLing so much shit.

5. Up All Night

Up All Night I might sleep all day

Option 1: Put netlimiter on his machine
    Option 2: You're doing him the favor, grow some balls and tell him to stop

6. I was just hoping for a quick solution, I'm moving out in a few weeks so it's not really worth the hassle, he's really a pain in the ass across the board and he's allready been doing stupid shit to get back at me when he doesn't get his way. Thanks for your help anyways.