GUN Limited Class Benelli M1S90

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by yar1182, Nov 1, 2009.

1. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

Mad friend price $800. Benelli M1s90 (21" vent rib) set up for 3 gun limited class (iron sights, finger loaded). 9+1+1 (ghost load) capacity. Work done by Rob Melhorn. Shortened pistol grip stock will take some getting used to.

I got an extra black benelli barrel that I going to do some work on as well as get some parts to make this a back up open shotgun. Mostly though it will stay in this configuration as my defensive shotgun and to practice my finger loading. I got an extra weaponlight to put on it, and you can't tell but there is a 8 shell side saddle on the other side.

I'm thinking I'm going to sell my open 1100 and maybe even my 870 and just standardize on the m1s90's

2. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I want a Benelli so bad.

3. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Pics from the underside looking into the loading gate? Bolt?

Why the pistol grip (and not a Benelli one at that)? Spill the beans.

4. johnson

johnson New Member

Wish I needed a shotgun.

5. mstad

mstad New Member

I understand the 9+1, but explain this ghost load to me.

6. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

man i just put away my camera too.

Typical rob melhorn work. bolt has been lightened though this one is not super lightened (I prefer it not to be too lightened for reliability as you can outrun how fast the gun can feed the shells). The feed port is all cut away for easier loading.

They tell me this is the best configuration for weak hand finger loading. Taran says this so it might as well come from god. Stock is shortened so you can unmount/mount it faster going to and from reload. Set up for mounting on pec squared off as opposed to quartered off on the shoulder. You can see where the back of the stock has been chopped off and the pad bolted on (hence the pad is bigger than the stock. The pad is a limbsaver of course. I do like how the shotgun is an additional 3" shorter. If you ran a strait stock this short you'd punch yourself in nose with your thumb. will definately need some getting used to. I can always sell it for a grip of $$$ if I decide to go with a strait stock later. Benelli's don't work well with pistol grip stock so you have to do some wacky stuff with the spring in the stock, and smiths charge $$$ to do the shortening mod. whatever, we'll see if it works for me.

7. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

On the benelli you can load the tube, the chamber and one on the lifter. a round is sandwiched between the bolt and the lifter giving you one additional shell of capacity. One reason why the benelli's are so good. you can't do this on any other shotgun.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

[​IMG]

You can see the notch in the lifter has been welded up removing that chinese finger trap. If you do a lot of finger loading this will keep you from ripping off your thumb nail. (that shit hurts)...

[​IMG]

Everything inside the feed port has been hogged out and all edges removed or broken. Nothing for the shell to hang up on so it is a much easier shotgun to finger load.

9. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Interesting.... I remember you talking about the pec technique before. Sounds pretty wild. You have any video of this stuff yet? I'd be curious to check it out, so roll some tape of it if you ever get a chance.

If this works out, you gonna setup your open gun same/same?

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Looks smooth, but I guess that was to be expected given Rob's reputation. Sorry to make you break out the camera again, but thanks much for the photos.

11. mstad

mstad New Member

Ok, that makes sense. Pretty sweet concept.

12. vwpilot

vwpilot New Member

Yar, what is the process for doing this, as in the steps to do it? I have an M2 and I cant seem to figure this out though I've read about it.

13. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

The M2 needs to be modded to be ghosted loaded. I'm not sure the actual process.

As for actual ghosting, you load the tube, put one in the chamber then pull the bolt back almost all the way but not quite all the way. Then you put one shell on the lifter and let the bolt slam closed. The shell has to be in certain position on the lifter or the bolt won't close.