Limit of Oc?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Robb, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Robb

Robb Guest

Ive got a 2.7 celeron, I was wondering how well this particular cpu oc's. Ive gotten up to 3.2 ghz by incrementing the FSB, but when i go 1 more mhz over 3.2 it fails to load windows, what should i try to get past this? Or can this cpu get past this? The temps are amazing at 3.2- 30 normal 38-40 under load.
    The only way i know to increase clock speed is by increasing FSB, im at 119 i think right now, is there any other ways?
    My setup consists of:
    ASRock p4S61
    2.7 Intel Celeron 478
    1Gb Corsair Ram

Ive got this in a case w/ all the wiring taken care of as to maximize airflow, i have 1 80mm intake, a 80mm exhaust, xdream cpu cooler w/ duct, a 120mm psu fan. The cooling system seems to work wonderful, but i just cant get past 3.2
    I would love any suggestions.
    Thanks

2. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

This sounds like a Northwood unit to me...

I would recommend that you try upping the voltage. Just loading into Windows is irrelevant; you have to load up Prime95, 3DMark, and HL2 for a while and see how it runs.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 30, 2005
  3. Robb

Robb Guest

It is a northwood unit, i dont see any options in bios to change the voltage, its already at 1.6.

Ive tried running prime 95, but after like 3 hours it shuts down and says it has found a hardware error, what does that mean, and how can i correct it?

4. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

RAM, modded bios

5. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Ditto with Destruction on that one...But sometimes the mobos hardware is not deisgned to allow certain voltage changes, so you may be out of luck there.

6. Robb

Robb Guest

My RAM? What changes do I need to make to my RAM timings??

7. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

you need to adjust the FSB:MEMORY ratio, if your mobo has the option.

8. Penetration

Penetration OT Supporter

tighten ram timings (make them lower) and if the mobo won't allow higher voltages, voltmod! (physically modify the board...)

9. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

only if his ram can't support higher speeds. personally i'd never change the cpu/ram ratio.

10. FreeSpace

FreeSpace Guest

Be careful! Setting the timings to low can fry your RAM!