Limit domain user logon time..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Neuman, May 13, 2008.

1. Neuman

Neuman New Member

anyone know how to do this? have some public access computers being managed by windows server 2003. would like to set it up so users have a time limit of ~1 hour, and then are automatically logged off. also would like it to be more sophisticated than them just being able to log right back in.

i'm starting to think some 3rd party "internet cafe" style software might be necessary. when a user wants to use the computer they would be given individual logon info that expires after one use.

i don't think there is a gpo that can do this? any info would be appreciated :wavey:

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

iirc there is a gpo for that. although they would be allowed to log back in. I think the cybercafe software is a good idea.

3. peerk

peerk New Member

4. Neuman

Neuman New Member

5. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

On the server side, you can force the logoff to happen whenever you want (or just a system restart would do it), and at the same time disable the account using dsmod. As long as the user doesn't have admin rights, he won't be able to cancel the restart.

6. Neuman

Neuman New Member

i've seen where you can set the specific hours of the day/week a user can logon, but is there also a GPO where you can state "count down one hour from the time the user logs on until forced logoff"

?

i currently have an idle logoff setup...maybe there's a way to alter that script to not look for user activity....

7. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

The logon script can trigger the server to go into countdown mode. It passes the computername to the server, the server starts it's own batch file with a sleep command for x minutes, then triggers a shutdown -r -m \\computername -t 90 -c "Your time has expired, please close all programs before restart."

Then a dsmod user to disable the account.

Not so much a GPO as a simple script that restarts the client and disables the user.

Alternatively, you can set the logon script to sleep, then use the shutdown -l command. Just can't disable the user from the client.