MMA Lightweights v.Future UFC weightclasses.

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by damiand, Jun 26, 2007.

1. damiand

damiand Proceed

The 155lb division has been a tremendous success for the UFC. The years best fights have been 155, the myth that lightweights cant be exciting has been dispelled. The 155lb'ers are able to keep a frantic pace, and have proved that knockouts are not a dime a dozen, ala boxing.

Roger Huerta is going to be a mega-star because of his fighting style, attitude, and Hispanic background. Its clear the UFC is trying to attract the millions of Hispanics that are tired of boxing and how disorganized it has become. But we all know that the Hispanics favor the lighter weight classes, 110-155, hardly ever heavier.

With the facts being laid down, what does everyone think of the possibility of the addition of lighter classes, 136-145, perhaps 126-135 even? WEC is doing it and again the shows are really becoming quite popular, the feeder org would be in place.

Thoughts, ideas, discuss.

2. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

featherweight is probably the lightest they'll go. however, FW is an awesome class too

3. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Too many divisions ruin shows 5 is heaps. Huerta is a bit overrated they are grooming him to be the next champ for sure but he got beaten in that first round by a guy on debut.

4. jmx2323

jmx2323 OT Supporter

i dont ever see huerta winning the belt, nor do i see ufc brining a 145 division in

5. damiand

damiand Proceed

You could say that, you could also say Hunt was beating Fedor, all that counts is whos hand is raised. But good point.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

i gurantee in the next couple of years we'll see a 145 division. the sport is exploding like crazy, and there are plenty of fighters at that weight, it only makes sense that a big promotion pick up the weight class here in the US.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I dont think there will ever be a 145 in teh UFC. I think it is what will make the WEC unique.

8. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

9. damiand

damiand Proceed

Personally, I think the lighter weighclasses will become marketable with time, as the sport grows more legitimate in the mainstream. Expanding into Mexico is a business for Zuffa, and in order to acheive dominance there, small weighclasses are key.

10. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

A lighter weight class makes more sense than a heavier weight class :coolugh: imo

11. furst

furst THE BOWRD OT Supporter

Aren't all of the organizations supposed to have the same weight classes in order to follow the unified rules, or does that not apply the the weight divisions?

12. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

That's just a Pride UFC thing. obviously WEC is going to follow the same standards on weightclasses, with the addition of a couple more.

13. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I'm sure they all have the ability to showcase all those weight classes, they just choose not to. UFC chooses not to hold 145lb fights just as WEC doesn't have 206+ heavyweight fights.

14. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I think there's room in the UFC for a 145 lb. class, and splitting heavyweight into 206-235, and 235-265.

15. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

It would make more sense to just add a super heavy wight division at 265+ or maybe lower it to 250+

i think more champions may take away from the marketability of their current lineup and too many people in contentions for title shots may get too crazy. i think they have a good thing going and will stick with itfor a long time to come.

16. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

That gives such a huge spread to what would be heavyweight though. 206 up to 265, or even 250.

And yes, I realize that's what it is now, but if you're going to split the class, split it in a way that makes sense.

If there ended up being a super heavyweight class, that would probably mean Sylvia getting another belt shot, and that I could live without.

17. Bausk

Bausk New Member

I don't think I would want to pay to watch superheavyweight fights. Good heavyweights, yes. Lower weight classes, definitely.

18. Antigeek

Antigeek Who Dat!

I like watching the smaller guys because I are one. Although I'd need to find a seniors' 125 class if I were ever to consider competing. :rofl:

19. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

there are only a few good super HWs (265+) as of now, and as the sport grows and the fans become more knowledgeable, they'll want to see athletes rather than morbidly obese brutes fight at a sluggish pace (save K1 freakshows)

Junior and Big are the only superHWs that are legit, off the top of my head. sylvia and hunt fight in HW or superHW though

20. Jeebus

Jeebus Well-Known Member

A 145 class leaves room open for a very entertaining "Kid" Yamamoto. :x:

21. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

he will be in the WEC by the end of next month, i guarantee it.

22. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

anybody know how his olympic trials are going? and what's his deal with Heros?

i'd pay good money to see Faber vs. Kid :eek3:

23. Sammo

Sammo New Member

the HW class barely has enough talent as is

it would be cool to see a 145 division in the UFC if there is enough talent, also it would be cool to see Kid Yamamoto fight in the US but it just seems like he has such a big following in Japan and more $$$ opportunities

24. Atmosphere

Atmosphere PURPLE DREAM

HWs have plenty of talent. it's just that they're spread out across many organizations, but UFC has been acquiring lots of them

25. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I am 90% sure he is out of olympic trials because of that arm injury.