Lights dim with the bass cranked...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by FrigginAnT, Nov 25, 2007.

1. FrigginAnT

FrigginAnT Humanity is like a train wreck....its fun to watch

Pretty basic system, an alpine amp going to 2 12" JL subs..

someone told me a 1.5F cap is all i would need to eliminate the dimming..true?

sorry about the lack of details..i was lazy and had it put in for me

2. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Yes, a cap will help. It's a pretty common problem.

3. jjski78

jjski78 New Member

No, a cap won't help. Do the Big-3.

4. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

A cap won't do anything.
    Do the "big three" upgrade, upgrade your ground wire, make sure you ground is clean, and possibly upgrade your battery.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

6. tjamz

tjamz New Member

I agree, do the "big 3" it will help more than a cap ever could.

Of course....always make sure you are running large enough power cable for the amp you are running as well. This includes the ground cable as well (ground cable should be same size as power cable and grounded to a solid part of the body or run back to the battery.)

To do the "Big 3" you need to upgrade the following wires with at least the same size wire as you have running to your amp(s):

Power wire from alternator to battery
    Ground wire from battery to chassis
    Ground wire from battery to engine
    (some people also upgrade the wire from engine to chassis, though it may not be necessary)

7. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

minus whale. it adds 10 hp anyway :p

8. darealfukindeal

darealfukindeal OT Supporter

get a bigger alternator

9. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

People bash caps and they really don't need to. Caps work for what they were designed to do.

Basically what is happening...since you wouldn't have asked if you didn't know...is that the electrical system in your vehicle cannot handle the voltage (and consequently the current) spikes that occur when the bass hits, therefore your lights dim. This is also raising hell with the other electronics in your car, such as the car's computer, but you don't see the telltale signs (sort term) as you do when the lights dim.

In order of expense

FIRST, insure that all the wiring that you are using is the proper gage. Install places like to cut corners and use larger gage (thinner wire) to cut down on costs. They figure if you are having THEM do the work, you probably won't know the difference. If all this is in order, then move on...

The "big 3" is the easiest and cheapest upgrade. I would do this regardless.

Still have dimming lights? Install a cap PROPERLY

Now we are getting into the more serious/costly upgrades
    You can but a larger battery or install a second battery...or you can upgrade your alternator. Another possibility, if you have an older car, is that your alternator is not functioning at top efficiency...as is the case as they age. The car may run fine, but the added load of the audio system is too much.

In the end, it doesn't sound like your system is all the "power hungry" so you should be okay with some of the more simplier upgrades. I probably have twice the power demand in my system and I don't see even the slightest flicker in the headlights.

10. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

A cap is a band-aid. If lights are dimming AND the idle is dropping, you need a cap to store spike power -- otherwise, it's a problem of not being able to get the power from the alternator to the amp fast enough.

11. MaximaDrvr

MaximaDrvr Member

A "PROPERLY" installed cap won't help.

12. YourMomOnRyeBun

YourMomOnRyeBun New Member

Depends on how power starved the system is... With a properly functioning battery and alternator and cap can make all the difference in the world for a moderately sized system. It may still be a "band-aid" but when you are working on a tight budget and you are looking for a fix vs a major project, it might be just what you need.

13. tjamz

tjamz New Member

Gonna have to disagree. We stopped using caps years ago for any system (as have most competitors...unless used for eye-candy only.) Get a decent, low ESR battery and you'll be far better off than with a cap....for about the same money. Or add a second AGM battery in the trunk (I prefer Kinetik, but other companies make decent batteries as well)

14. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

That just reflects the recent improvements in battery technology. Batteries will never be able to provide 100% of their stored current instantaneously, though. And recent advances in capacitor technology threaten to make chemical batteries obsolete -- which would be nice, because capacitors don't lose their ability to store current as time goes on.