A&P Lights and stands

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by Schproda, Dec 6, 2006.

1. Schproda

Schproda New Member

Is there another place that carries similar low budget lighting like Adorama sells for a few hundred dollars?

I went to Adorama to find some lighting and found just about everything I needed. I had everything but one part in my cart and sent them an email asking which stand fit the mount I had chosen. After 3 days I removed everything and ordered a printer. In the comments I wrote that I'd have ordered more if someone would have taken the time to answer my question. Then when I recieved my printer, they wanted me to fill out a survey. After the first two times I tried to get their attention I was hoping the third would have worked. Nope...still no response. I won't be ordering anything else from them.

2. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

alienbees, white lighting, calumet photo (house brand), unique photo (photoflex), and B&H photo.

3. If you want great low budget lighting get alienbees.
    Or look on B&H and find some unknown name lighting kits.

B&H sells alot of high end lighting stuff too but I personally woudlnt get any of their low budget no-name stuff.

What kind of lighting are you looking for? What are you looking to shoot?

4. canonshooter

canonshooter New Member

adorama sucks.. bh for life

5. mojito

mojito New Member

6. Nullius

Nullius New Member

Adorama's cheaper. has anyone ever been there though? i went yesterday and picked up my 17-55 2.8 IS and i walked in and thought i was going to be mugged... they're a whole bunch of hassidics, 98% of them are sids, fucking bugs me out.

so what do i do? find the only female worker in the joint and flirt with her, she was extremely helpful and didn't give me an attitude like any of those fuckers would have.

7. Jonny Chimpo

:ugh: Are you Arab?

8. Nullius

Nullius New Member

do i look arab in the photos? lol. i like regular jews, it's the sids i don't like. they cheat the government where i live and cost our town hundreds of thousands of dollars each year on welfare support and services that are provided that they don't pay tax for.

it's like there's 1500 people paying taxes to support the daily lives of 3000. BTW this isn't just an opinion, it's been documented in the local paper the different thigns they've ripped the goverment off with (such as 400 illegal sewer connections they weren't paid for).

9. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter

WTF how do you hook up to a sewer illegally? :rofl:

10. mojito

mojito New Member

you have to have the city do it. some friends bought a place that isn't connected to swer or water from the city, they wanted 10k to do it

11. JaimeZX

I guess I'm still confused. You dig a trench from the new establishment to the sewer pipe and run a hose or what? :o

:rofl:

12. Depends on how far you gotta lay pipe from your runoff or septic to the city sewerline hookup. If you have the knowledge, manpower and equipment you can do it yourself for under $1000. But you need someone from the city to hook you up to the city lines I couldnt imagine what would happen if you try tapping into the city lines without permission! :noes: :nickos:

13. Nullius

Nullius New Member

you end up ripping off the government like those fuckers did. search illegal sewer connections in regards to Kiryas Joel (that's misspelled but google would correct it). i'm not fucking kidding, it's documented that these guys hardcore shaft the gov't out of money, which has monroe close to bankrupt and per capita it's a pretty wealthy town. they have no moneys for community programs or growth because of it.

is it racism when their exploits as a whole are documented?

14. mojito

mojito New Member

their house is like 10' from the road :greddy: they are penalizing the house because the previous owner didn't do it when they were laying new pipes at the street. And it has some stupid intrest penalty so it goes up each year. So they have to use awful well water instead.

15. Jonny Chimpo

does this have anything to do with lighting?

16. mojito

mojito New Member

yeah, we just hooked up a bunch of home dept halogen work lights in the horse arena :o

17. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I just wanted the stands, lights and holders that had the umbrellas with them. I've since spoken to the guy I ran the studio for and he still has his two Novatron kits so I will probably just use one of them. It just pissed me off that I'm a potential, paying customer and they don't give a shit.

18. JaimeZX

Question about that: I've heard people use those big halogen work lights you can get at Home Depot or Autozone or wherever. Why not use those and bounce / difuse them for a less-expensive option? :dunno: (Aside from the heat.)

:o

19. Schproda

Schproda New Member

I've heard of that too. As long as you don't have two lighting temps at the different ends of the spectrum I don't know why a custom white balance wouldn't work.

20. mojito

mojito New Member

[​IMG]

despite how bright they appear, they still aren't that powerful of a light source, very hot, and very harsh lighting (diffusers are really needed)

21. mojito

mojito New Member

welcome to the world of commission sales.

novas are pretty low end

22. JaimeZX

Yah; I see. My wife and I are planning to shoot portraits of my sister, her husband, and the new baby as Christmas gifts. If we got a couple of those halogens and bounced them off the ceiling and big white foam-core boards, how do you think that'd do? (Because [a]we don't have fancy lighting yet and even if we did we wouldn't drag it across teh country for Christmas.)

:hsd: :dunno:

23. mojito

mojito New Member

bounce would throw light every where, the idea is to soften the light, as direction can be good (not under all circumstances though)

but yeah it can work, keep in mind they get thot and are bright, so practice first, then ask them to step in.

24. JaimeZX

Sure. Alternatively we could do it by a window during the daytime...

Hm. Open to other ghetto on-the-road lighting solutions. :x:

25. mobbarley

mobbarley Active Member

a speedlite?