A&P Lightroom help

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by EWhytsell, Aug 27, 2009.

1. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Does anyone have a book recommendation for learning lightroom? I've mentioned before that its entire purpose eludes me and I can't get it to do anything at all. At this point I hate it and don't understand how it works. I like PS I just go to file, open select a photo and its in there. Then I edit and save. Lightroom doesn't seem to have an open file option and it doesn't seem to save photos either and have no clue what its trying to do with catalogs.

I'm about to buy "Lightroom for Dummies" and thats no joke. Any ideas?

I tried some tutorials, but I just don't think the way lightroom was intended and feel like I need to find a "right brained" version or something:rofl:

2. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

You don't need a book :ugh:

You need common sense.

3. Smeghead

Smeghead New Member

File -> Import photos from Disk.

4. xenon supra

xenon supra OT Supporter

5. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Hehe no common sense here.

I know import from disk makes them appear in the program, but its still not the same as PS. Is it loading the files into a cache or something? What is a catalog? Its that part thats got me confused. I don't understand where its loading them, where its saving them (if it can even save them), and I just need more info. Damn program must have been written for MAC users or something.

6. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

I'll give that tutorial a good try, thanks. I can mess with images I just don't understand whats going on in the loading and saving parts. I like knowing where my files are at all times and I still use the DOS shell a good bit because its faster :p

7. Jcolman

Jcolman OT Supporter

I'm a mac user but if you want to give me a call I'll do my best to walk you through a typical session. PM me for my number.

8. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:rolleyes: it's not like using firefox or google chrome.

http://www.amazon.com/Adobe-Photosh...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1251333344&sr=1-1

I bought this. I already knew the basics for cleaning up a picture from the white balance/exposure/vibrance/all the settings down to the sharpness curve.

This book is fantastic. Laid out very well and shows step by step. I learned a lot of stuff on the way.

9. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

also, helps if you're shooting raws... but jpgs will work too. while balance will be limited

10. EWhytsell

EWhytsell New Member

Will look at book also. as for RAW yeah I haven't shot a jpeg in almost 2 years and don't miss them.

11. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

i never bought books for anything. i much preferred the "trial and error" method.

but this book helped me understand stuff i'd never figure out on my own.

for instance, now i never adjust saturation. it's too harsh. i only touch vibrance and then adjust the curve independently over the highlights/bright/dark/shadows. i also use the dropper for white balance instead of the presets. lots of good stuff

12. PackingMyBags

PackingMyBags New Member

torrents...yes please.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

if anything I'd get the Luminous landscapes videos

visually seeing step by step instructions is much better

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

links

or is that what was posted