1. Sorry for these questions, My photography teacher is a pot smokeing hippi English major and dosn't even know how to set up a tripod none the less use a camera.

Alright boys and girls, I have a project coming up that requires me to take a successful picture/pictures of a lightning storm. My question to you is HOW?

I have to go out and buy a new lens for this since my 28-80 Sigma ISN't going to cut it. By the way I have a 35mm Canon Rebel G11 (G2?)

What lens and ISO of film would you reccomend for this? Another question is, Am I going to need a aftermarket flash on my camera (or any flash at all:ugh:)

my last question brings me to settings, what shutter speed and Ap value would you reccomend for this kind of shooting?

Ok I lied, THIS is my last question. On the preset modes (automatic set modes) what would you use to capture this scene, Sport, Landscape, Night?

thanx in advance
    -Ryan-

2. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

find a high place, overlooking a city etc... and set a really slow shutter to try and catch as many bolts as possible

just don't get struck :noes:

3. TheEvil1

TheEvil1 Hell is other people OT Supporter

get a wide angle prime, liek a 24mm f/2.8 im sure canon makes one of them

these are gonna be long exposures is go with any film less then ISO 400 to keep the grain down

4. so like a 100-200? and a "wide angle prime, like a 24mm f/28" elaborate please, I am very new to this :hs:

I notice f/28 or f/"insert number here" used alot, what does that mean? sorry if that was a RETARDED question

5. weezerfan

weezerfan New Member

F stop is the amount of light you let into the camera, F/3.5 = alot of light............F/30 minimal light etc.

So let's say you are taking this picture at dusk...as the sun goes down using a 25 second exposure..you might want to use something like F/16 because their is still light out...and you want to balance the F stop with the shutter speed.

As oppposed to shooting it at night, where on a 25 second exposure you would use F/3.5 to let as much light into the camera as possible.

Shooting this type of shot with film is a big disadvantage because you can't take test shots to check out if you fucked up the exposure or not, I wish you luck :eek4:

6. mojito

mojito New Member

sorta answered in your other thread

7. BLKDVLGSX

BLKDVLGSX OT Supporter

do you have alot of lightning storms??? i can't see this as being an assignment, what if you never get one in the course of the class?

8. FryingPan

FryingPan Certified Thread Killer

No kidding. I live in goddamn Florida and I haven't seen a lightning bolt in months.

9. I am in Oklahoma at the moment, we actually had a pretty bad ass lightning storm 2night. I am not too worried about not getting the shots since this is my senior year of HS and I will be leaving back to Seattle graduation night, but would like to get the shots for myself.

now if I were in Seattle, this wouldnt even have been considered an assignment.

I will be down in Clearwater over spring break, are you close?

-Ryan-

10. BadRotation

BadRotation New Member

What I do (since I have actually had two close strikes before while I was out hiking, and dont like risking it) is I set up the camera outside of the car, with plastic over it to protect it from any rain, just dont wrap the lense. then I run a remote cable into the car, so I can trigger the camera from inside the car, and not have to worry about getting struck.

Cant wait to try out the 20D this year with lightning

11. XtremeSaturn

XtremeSaturn New Member

They'll be back shortly.

12. Tomash

Tomash Active Member

I'd use a very long exposure (bulb mode?) and close the shutter after the lightning struck.

13. mojito

mojito New Member

bulb is a manual exposure. Without a cable release or remote, you could push the shutter ina dn hold it until you decide the exposure was long enough and take your hand off, shutting the exposure.

with a remote or cable release, you hit it, then hit it again to end it depending on the remote.

pretty much only useful for night time exposures and in studio shots of products with hot lights and slow speed film that has reciprocity

14. lemans23

lemans23 PV - The Vision of Sound

*gasp* did u ask what AUTOMATIC mode to use? blasphemy!

15. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

ok, here is what you should do:

lens (18-22mm)
    ISO-200
    manual mode
    f-stop (keep it around f16-22)
    shutter (10-15 seconds)

snap away. but keep at least a horizon line in your photo (land in the distance) so you can see the sky, approximate location to lightning bolt, etc. Patience will need to be your friend...