A&P Lightning picture

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by eof, Sep 20, 2005.

1. eof

eof New Member

[​IMG]

:hs:

Didn't turn out so great...

2. eof

eof New Member

D70 w/ kit lens

18mm
    1.6sec
    F/3.5
    ISO 320

What settings would work better for lighning in this situation. I tried a 6sec exposure time but I found the lightning was dulled out. I think even 1.6sec might be too long.

:dunno:

3. eof

eof New Member

Yeah....I am not sure if a lower iso + higher shutter speed would be better. I am reading some lightning picture faq's and that is what they are recommending.

Like F/11 + ISO 200 + 15 to 20 sec shutter

It seems to me shorter would be better because you would have brighter lighning. But maybe I am not thinking straight. Or maybe lightning is so bright as it is that it will "burn" into the exposure no matter how long you leave the shutter open. :dunno:

4. eof

eof New Member

Yeah...it is just tough to experiment because it only lasts a few minutes most of the time. I only had like max 15 ligthning strikes to catch and I got 4 of them..=/

5. tenplanescrashing

tenplanescrashing Active Member

yeah, none of mine really turned out tonight either. i think my iso was way too high (wasn't thinking right) and even 30 second exposures weren't showing the lightning much. it also didn't help that we were so far away :dunno:

6. sony

sony Active Member

7. eof

eof New Member

What did you do to it? I played with levels, curve and USM but really wasn't happy with the results. I am still struggling with post processing though.

8. sony

sony Active Member

I made a gradient mask and played with just the top half of the image. Didn't turn out the way I wanted though, as you should know, so I ended up stacking the image on top of itself and screening the top layer, then doing another grad mask of that, so just the top part was screening through.

Yeah. :hsugh: