A&P Lighting and Glass suggestions please

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by asshole, Oct 15, 2009.

1. asshole

asshole dont eat yellow snow! OT Supporter

I just landed a freelance gig for High Performance Pontiac to do a shoot and tech write up on a new product, so I was just wondering what you guys suggest for shooting in a shop setting.

I currently have a Canon 40D with a 17-40L lens, 28-135 and a 480ex flash. I have rented some lights before and I was thinking about buying something, since this is going to be a regular gig from now on.

So what do you guys think I should do? Get a 580ex2 and run a wireless trigger setup?

What Wireless setup do you recommend?

Also do you have any suggestions for glass? I'm shooting the entire install and car before and after. I was thinking my 17-40L would be good enough, but I'm having second thoughts. I have some cash in the budget to buy some things, so let me know what everyone thinks.

I literally have 1 week or less before the shoot, so... im kinda nervous, since this shoot and write up will determine if I get more gigs.

Thanks!

2. mojito

mojito New Member

I'm continually amazed at how people land gigs without even knowing how they'll pull them off :rofl:

3. 1992 240SX

1992 240SX New Member

Yeah, if you dont know what you need, you really dont know what you're in for.

4. alexromo

alexromo New Member

yea wtf :ugh:

5. aCab

aCab New Member

6. Kappa00

Kappa00 Pizza

7. DaRkPhAnToM

DaRkPhAnToM FML OT Supporter

8. pantheR

pantheR New Member

not sure what to suggest, but good luck

btw, how do you like your 17-40L? i'm thinking about getting one soon

9. alexromo

alexromo New Member

I bet you can do whatever gig you got perfectly with just the gear you already have ...

10. Keiphus

Keiphus my dog eats bears

Don't know about you guys but that's how I learn shit and get better and better at what I do. That's how you move up.

Someone asks me, "Can you do this?"

I say, "Yes."

What I really mean is, "No, but I'll figure it the fuck out."

Nothing wrong with that.

11. mojito

mojito New Member

until you get sued :mamoru:

12. turbodude

turbodude Just a photographer OT Supporter

lowball offers land a first time gig. Usually nothing after that.

As far as the OP, look to samples of installs, look for tutorial photography. Its simple.

13. turbodude

lol wut?

Or you can go down in a ball of flames and have all your credibility lost forever. Sure go ahead and try that.

14. Wobistdu

Wobistdu Guest

:drama:

another great OTAP thread filled with lots of good information for the TS

15. alexromo

alexromo New Member

you may have bit off more than you could chew man

16. Keiphus

you've always been completely prepared for any job you've ever done? you've never taken a job you weren't 100% sure how to do yet? you've never accepted a job knowing you may not know the info then, but you could figure it out before the shoot/event/whatever and pull it off?

i doubt it.

clearly my advise requires baby steps, but to imply that 'no one has ever tried that and been successful' is kind of silly. to be clear, im not recommending deception, but instead confidence in your abilities to be a problem solver.

17. mojito

mojito New Member

if you have the technical side down and haven't done an exact shoot before, thats one thing. winging it as an amateur when you don't even know what gear to use or how to light something is completely different

18. alexromo

alexromo New Member

werd

19. turbodude

sure i have. But im confident that im consistent enough and have the knowledge and know how, to be able to problem solve.

When i get a gig i have never done before, i dont go on a message board and ask what gear i should buy or ask how i should light it.

I research by reading books, asking a pro that i know that has done the type of thing before, and also go out of my way to do a couple test shoots prior to shooting the said gig.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  20. Keiphus

right, and my initial response was directed more at your broad comment of being "continually amazed" at how "people land gigs without even knowing how they'll pull them off" rather than a specific reply to defend the thread starter.

additionally, though, the thread starter does seem to have a reasonable technical knowledge and is asking for help and recommendation, the same type of post you see all over this forum. He didn't ask for links to shopping carts of the items he should buy along with a blog roll of how it all works step by step.

turbodude, you just confirmed what i've already said, except i dont see an issue with someone asking who perhaps they perceive as professionals (many members on this board) their opinion on how to accomplish something many of them have done before.

21. mojito

mojito New Member

:ugh:

lighting a car to make it look good isn't easy, , he doesn't know how to, and hasn't shown he has any kind of technical base to draw from

22. asshole

Thanks duude! I've been shooting cars for a long long long time (never really in a shop environment) and traveled the country on the hotrod power tour several years in a row fully sponsored... i know how to pull it off, i just asked a freakin question ... whats the problem with that?

I just asked for some advise on some lighting and some glass.... i didnt know that was such a big deal.

I landed the gig, due to the fact that I've written several articles for several magazines and shot a few cars already that have been published in several magazines... but all my shots have been outdoor, so all i was asking for was some info ... thats all...sorry to bother everyone

This gig is just a pretty big one 2 issues about 3-6 pages in each issue... with potential to write on a constant basis, so i really wanted to just hit a homerun, which i probably will, but i just thought you guys would offer some advise, since a lot of you have some better goodies and a lot more creative talent than me...

Last edited: Oct 16, 2009
  23. asshole

I love my 17-40L its probably my favorite lens

24. mojito

mojito New Member

previous threads, website and questions asked don't dictate that at all, but whatever floats your boat bro

25. Jonny Chimpo

Jonny Chimpo OT Supporter

[​IMG]