Light scratches on trunk lid

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by [dRu], Oct 25, 2006.

1. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I backed my car into a parking spot on a windy day and didn't notice the small branch swaying back and forth right behind me. Needless to say, there are quite a few scratches on my trunk lid.

I've used Meguiars ScratchX with a microfiber towel and even tried some scratch removing product that has carnuaba wax made by Mothers and it's still not getting everything out :(.

Tips or help? :x: Thanks in advance :hs:

2. LDUB

LDUB Guest

more elbow grease

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

You probably need something more abrasive, assuming you are working ScratchX into the paint and not just wiping it on. See the stickies for more information.

4. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I know :sadwavey:

5. [dRu]

[dRu] Active Member

I just saw that the Mothers stuff I bought is actually cleaner wax with carnuaba in it. I'll see if I could find some scratch removing stuff and really work it in :hs:

6. photorider

photorider New Member

There is no need to repaint the deck lid as long as the scratches don't go down to the metal. Find yourself a good detail shop that uses rotary buffers and i am sure they can get the marks out.

7. Original

Original OT Supporter

Use some foam applicator pads for best results. Start with a low abrasive polish and move up from there. It will take some hard work getting it out by hand depending on how deep it is :hs:

If you can get your fingernail in the scratch, chances are you won't get it out, even with a buffer. :hsd:

8. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I am sure you meant 'down to the base coat', right? If you go into the base coat or the primer, you can't polish it out properly either. Any defect that can catch your fingernail is too deep to completely remove. You can only remove .4 mil of clear before you compromise the UV protection of the clear coat-that isn't a lot of room to play with.

I agree, make sure you find a good detail shop, a crappy one can mess up your car far beyond just the scratches already there.