GUN Light crew, help me out.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by xpinchx, Jan 21, 2008.

1. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I don't know shit about lights, but I'd like to get a smallish general-purpose light mainly for camping, but something that's small enough to have as a carry light when I need it. I'm mostly looking for something in the $30-ish range and here's what I came up with on dealextreme:

http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10637
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.10659
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.9631
    http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.2672

I'm leaning towards the "trustfire" (Link #2) because it has a Q5 and a clip, which I like. Any advice? I almost picked these out at random so :dunno:.

2. kruucks

kruucks oh herro

i bought a T20 OLIGHT from www.batterjunction.com a while back, but it sounds like it might be overkill for what you're looking for.

they have a lot of other great deals, though :dunno:

3. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

id either go with 1 or 3 b/c

1. the q5 is awesome
    2. 2 x 123 > 1 18650

if i were buying one, which i'm kind of looking for another small carry light to replace my luxeon 3w, i'd get 3

whatever you get, be sure to post a review of it. im very interested in the performance of all of those

4. xpinchx

Do you think having only one 1 mode would be detrimental at all? That was the only thing turning me off from #3.

5. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ive got an aurora q5 from them on my ar and it has 2 mode on it. honestly its not a feature i see myself ever using. all it does is dim the light a tad bit. it wouldnt deter me

6. xpinchx

I went ahead and got the Ultrafire C2 Q5, but I ordered a couple 18650s instead of the CR123A along with a charger that can use either. Everyone on the discussion boards said they last a lot longer, so. :dunno: The rechargeable CR123As are like $5-8 so it's not a huge deal if the 18650s turn out to suck.

edit: BTW I'm probably going to get that same light you have to mount to my AR (when I get one). :coold:

7. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

will that one take 18650 batteries?

8. xpinchx

It doesn't say in the product description, but several people said they work fine in the comments/reviews.

I tried the RCR123A batteries listed above. The light output was good, but they only ran 1 hour. A single 18650 ran 6 hours.

9. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

is the light output with the 18650's less than the 123's? the light i have on the ar accepts both too, but i dont have any 18650's to test it with. i was thinking its less since the voltage for the 18650's is less

10. xpinchx

I hear it is a bit less, but it's a compromise. For what I'm using it for, I'd rather have 4 hours of steady and very bright light than 30 minutes of slightly more intense light before tapering off into basically nothing. But I'll probably buy a couple RCR123As just to test them out with. I'll let you know how it goes when I get it, the RCR123As might work perfectly fine. How long did it take for you to get your light from dealextreme? Did you use standard shipping or EMS?

11. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

ill have to ask the gf. she got it for me for christmas. i ordered an external hd case yesterday though.

im thinking of buying some cheap 123's and leaving the light on to see what kind of times i can get out of my light. dont want to buy some $10 energizer lithiums just to waste

12. xpinchx

Why not just get some rechargables?... I don't know how many times they can be recharged, but even if you get 3-4 full charges out of each IMO it's a pretty good deal.

13. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

havent really looked into it yet. you can get 123's for like a buck so i never really thought about it. i do need to get some AA's and a charger for my camera flash though. i may need to look into it

14. R134

R134 New Member

I have the Aurora q5 too. I bought some 18650's for it too. It looks like the same output to me compared to cr123's. Long run time and no worries about wasting money on batteries.

15. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

type up a review on it

16. xpinchx

So... any word on how long it took to ship?

17. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

she said she ordered it and forgot about it (b/c it wasnt her gift to be excited to receive) but she thinks it took about 2 weeks to get it here. that includes a 2 day hang up at the post office b/c it required a signature but no one was ever home to sign for it so they kept it at the post office.

18. xpinchx

Awesome :coold:. I think I read an average of 10 days somewhere, so we'll see. :x: Can't wait. I'll write up a quick review but I won't be able to take nice pictures like you because of my POS camera. :hs:

19. R134

R134 New Member

Mine took two and a half weeks. New Years time might have slowed it down a bit.