lifts plateauing / going down because of MMA

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by uofapeter, Jul 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

I've been doing MMA practices 2 hours a day, 5 days a week for about a month now. I was on the Bill Starr Routine and seeing some nice noob gains to my poor squat and deadlift, but now my gains have plateaued and in some cases, (like my bench) they have dropped slightly.

i usually lift a couple hours before the class on MWF.
    i eat as much as i can, and have been gaining some weight, but losing strength. i sleep around 8 hours a day so i don't think thats the problem.

strength training and the MMA are both important to me. any advice on how i can most effectively balance the two out is greatly appreciated.

2. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Contrary to what you may believe, some of the top and most powerful MMA fighters have low maximal strength when it comes to weights. Despite that they can strike with loads of power and resist the grappling of an opponent for extended periods of time.

I reccomend you pick one goal rather than try to achieve both, because they don't necessarily go hand in hand. That much MMA training will leave your body exhausted and to do bill starr routine will leave you dead. I'm not sure you're fully recovering after your workouts since you're spending so much time rolling and doing bag work and conditioning. This is probably why you aren't seeing any more gains in strength.

3. ices

ices New Member

If anything, I would exercise on days that you don't go to class (tuesday, thursday, saturday). You could use your MMA class for active recovery. Leave your heavy day on Saturday so you can have all of sunday to rest. Maybe you should work on explosive strength rather than 1RM.

4. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Pick a main goal- that's what I had to do when it came down to a) endurance running and b) lifting heavy.

5. uofapeter

uofapeter New Member

hmmmm thank you for the advice guys
    this is going to be a hard decision
    and i don't see a way of making it without feeling at least partially dissatisfied

6. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

explosive strength will help you a great deal more for fighting than max effort lifts. try cycling between ME and Explosive stuff maybe

7. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

cut out a day on lifting?

8. Layman

Layman New Member

Not to sound condecending, but welcome to life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.