MMA lifting

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by n1nj3w, Aug 28, 2007.

1. n1nj3w

n1nj3w New Member

Does anyone do any supplemental lifting between classes? I have started the past few weeks but I feel dead when I get to class. I was wondering if anyone had a good routine that won't leave me dead in during class. Maybe I'm just being a vag but I hate performing like shit because my muscles are gassed.

2. miek

miek New Member

I do some circut training with and without weights (plyometrics I believe? I don't even know what its called :rofl:)

3. ilduce

ilduce New Member

Pick up Infinite Intesity by Ross Enamait. The book is a personal favorite of mine and has an effective routine mapped out.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

i lift. make time for it, being stronger can never hurt.

5. RMarks

RMarks New Member

Bullshit, Phil Baroni has the best gastank in the business.

6. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

Im trying this atm lowish weights huge reps 2 sets to muscle exhaustion. Soreness has decreased considerably in the following days.

7. kronik85

kronik85 New Member

sean sherk's muscles are too big :hsugh:

your overall cardio is not determined by muscle size. just because you're a small skinny guy does not mean you have a larger gas tank.

8. darkjedi

darkjedi Muay Thai expert

lifting on my off days makes my muscles too sore thus prevents me from training 100%...

train lift, then allow for 1-2 days of rest worked for me tho

9. ilduce

ilduce New Member

It can be a detriment for those guys who get too large too quick. Your body is better adjusted to small changes in size than large ones. If you get too big too quick your muscles will get larger but your ligaments and tendons will be under a bit more pressure because they dont grow at the same rate. Also, it can have an affect on your quickness/speed, etc. Lastly, getting big to quick means your capillaries which once supplied x amount of muscle fibers now has to supply x more amount of muscle fibers when they arent given time to increase their density.

Like I said if you can purchase that book it goes over all of this and also has a great plan for doing low reps for explosiveness but is well balanced by cardio and bodyweight exercises.

10. ilduce

ilduce New Member

There is a difference between size and strength. One can lift for strength and coupled with a proper diet and cardio can increase their strenght without increasing their size too much. I guess this just all has to be done the right way. I dont think a bodybuilding approach is that way but doing a lifting program taylored for MMA could be of a huge benefit. Even when doing bodyweight exercises one is still "lifting" per say. As I said in the above post though, trying to get too big too quick is definitely something someone in MMA would want to avoid even if they wanted to jump weight classes.

11. adrenalin112

adrenalin112 New Member

Being that in our sport, bodyweight is very important its going to be a slow road. You'll up your cals because you're upping your workload, so that you stay a bit above maintenance to gain strength but minimize mass.

I used to be on a powerlifting routine and had to switch because it directly conflicted with my arts. The new routine was changed, I set new strength goals and once I hit those instead of upping the weight I upped the reps. The weight now represents the opponent ill face. So instead of moving 225lbs 5 times, ill move 185lbs 15-20 times. I feel it teaches the muscles to have more repeated controlled explosions instead of a couple big easily burnt out moments.

Now about working it in... Try to do train or lift before class/work and do the other after.