Lifting Weights + Running

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by iCEgECKO, Jan 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

I dont know if its counter productive at all.

I lost 19 pounds (181 -> 162) in the last 5 months and feel alot better about myself, but I dont want to be skinny-fat so i started doing kettlebell/body weight exercises like pushup/squats/lunges/etc

But i figure the best way to put on some pounds is by lifting some weights which i've been doing.

I'm pretty much following arnolds work out posted in the FAQ for overenthuastic noobs and things have been going pretty well, but i also want to increase my cardio and the best way to do that is running.

But if i'm trying to eat right and increase my protiens would i end up losing muscle if i run? is there a healthy balance of the 2? My original goal was to maybe add 12 pounds in 3 months and then start cutting in April, but i dont want to suck at running in April.

Also my goal in running is to be able to run 1 mile in 6 minutes.

2. Winter Hill

Winter Hill Hi

Ideally you want to spread out lifting and running.

For example:

If you lift during the morning, do your running at night.
    If you lift at night, take your post-workout shake, eat dinner, run, then have a shake before bed (preferably casein)

If you do a 3-day split (M/W/F), run on Tues/Thurs/Saturday.

Basically, never run immediately before or after your workout, as it's counterproductive.

3. speedy

speedy New Member

Why? I've read numerous articles stating that cardio is most effective right after you lift.

4. Winter Hill

Winter Hill Hi

This guy is trying to bulk, not cut. Why would you run when your glycogen stores are already depleted if you're trying to put on lean mass?

And regardless of goals (cutting or bulking), the best time to run is when you have the most amount of energy/fuel. It's not only common sense but "there are numerous articles on it."

5. shadowoperative

shadowoperative Rawest asian alive, so raw they call me sashimi.

in for answers, i've been running for 10 minutes before i lift so i want to know if this is beneficial or not.

6. PreemO

PreemO OT Supporter

resistance training barely taps into your glycogen, unless you're doing some low-moderate circuit training with long intervals. the threshold in which your body will start to catabolize muscle is greatly exaggerated. i would advise do whatever activity is most difficult first, whether that may be cardio or resistance training

7. awdboost

awdboost New Member

Yeah this is the first time I heard not to do cardio after lifting. Can you give more reasoning.

I heard the best time to run is as soon as you wake up or after lifting. But hey I'm all in for more opinions.

8. Ultimate_Ninja

Ultimate_Ninja New Member

I run, and then lift right after. I tried it the other way, but I'm usually so fatigued after lifting that running wouldn't really work :rofl:

9. PEnGUiN188

PEnGUiN188 New Member

Now if your trying to loose weight, is it better to jog on a flat treadmill, or walk uphill on a treadmill?

10. eter

eter New Member

65% of your max heart rate for as long as you can, no matter what you're doing

11. grampositivecocci

grampositivecocci New Member

The closer that your strength and endurance/aerobic training are together, the greater they will impact on each other.

Eter, not necessarily.

12. iCEgECKO

iCEgECKO Ballin' at 5'2''

I totally agree.

I've been doing MMA for the last 5 months for cardio and eating healthy to lose weight. During my classes there was a lot of calisthenics and I gained muscle without even realizing it (i couldnt really see because of was still fat). But I dont do MMA anymore I'm taking Jeet Kune Do and after reading up on Bruce's book he said if you can not run a mile in 6 minutes you have no business doing martial arts.

But overall I feel stronger, i last a lot longer and have made an effort to increase my flexibility. I'm shocked at how much things can change in only a few months.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.