Lift

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Bugatti, Nov 20, 2006.

1. Bugatti

Bugatti New Member

I've been fixing up an old '89 XJ (Jeep Cherokee) and got it running quite nicely. So now I want to JACK IT UP and throw on some big ass Tires.

Anyone know about lift kits? I've been looking at 3.5" lift with shocks. and maybe some 32s BF Goodrich or Kumho Ventures.

What's involved? I hear about issues with brake lines and vibration.

Any advice on a mechanic in NJ that can do this?

2. affende

affende Resident 4X4 Elitest Prick

do your research and get a bolt on kit.

most kits include new shocks, new coil springs, new leaf spring(s) (either a new pack or an add-a-leaf), new brake lines, various hardware and various brackets, and sometimes a new trackbar for the front and rear if applicable.

it can be done in your driveway, but it isnt easy. you will need access to 6 or 8 jackstands, multiple jacks, basic tools, and some specialty tools (pickle fork, front end service kit). and the kit probably wont come with everything you need, so a few trips to the hardware store is almost a certainty.

a full on suspension lift wont be easy, expecially since you are in the NE. the rust will have seized alot of the bolts that need to be removed, so a big breaker bar and an impact wrench is a very good idea.

the big issue you get with the lift is your driveshaft angles, which is where the vibrations come in. if you are going with a 3.5", do yourself some favors and get a Slip Yoke Eliminator kit for the transfer case and CV driveshaft for the rear. this will fix any binding, vibration, length issues you should have

3. IslanderOffRoad

IslanderOffRoad Do you even lift kit? OT Supporter

SYE is not necessary for 3.5 sometimes, I didn't NEED it, but I'll be getting one... better safe than sorry.

I like the Rubicon Express kits, 3.5" Superflex is a great kit, I just did it on mine in a day, but I live in So Cal so I had no bolt problems.