Lifestyle Change

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Voltekker, Jun 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

So ive been lurking for about a month in this forum, I recently decided to make a real effort to get in shape. I got fat, lazy and I didnt like it, my heaviest was 244, im 5'8 so far im down to 230 - (228 in my underwear). Im trying to eat 6 times a day smaller meals, no sweets. I start the morning with 18 oz of water, a nutrigrain bar and then head to the gym to do cardio. Im spinning 4 or 5 days a week and then I use the treadmill on an incline the other days. I havent started lifting any weights yet but I figured it might be a good idea soon. Then I have a snack mid morning around 10 my nutrutionist suggested some sort of fruit like apples or one of this string cheese sticks the ones made with skim milk.Then I have lunch usually its chicken(2cutlets) with about 3/4-1 cup of rice. I have some sort of snack around 3 or more chicken, then I have dinner. My problem is dinner somtimes I get home so late that I dont know whats ok to eat. Can I have more chicken at night even if its late ? Ive read some of the exercises in the other forum and to be honest alot of it is gibberish to me, I know how to use the bench and dumb bells and squat machine. The rest of the stuff is past me. I also wondered if it was ok to go to the gym 7 days a week ? Im going to go 21-30 days straight and after that I can take some days off is this crazy ? im at day 9 of going to actual gym I did some exercise at home before that. Im not sure if I missed somthing.

2. GTLifter

GTLifter Banned

You can eat chicken any time of day.

Don't squat on a machine, use free weights.

I wouldn't lift every day of the week but being physically active every day is perfectly fine as long as you are sleeping enough and eating properly.

3. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

I really want to nail down my calorie intake since I have some aggresive goals, I read the edu thats stickied but couldnt figure this out. The body fat calculator link doesnt work. And I wasnt sure where to get the LBM figure, also when calculating this for my old activity factor should I use my previous activity or current ? Thanks for the help.

"Go to body fat calculator and figure up you body fat percentage (ignore the rest for now).

[RMR (Resting metabolic rate) X Activity Factor] + Thermic Effect of Food= Maintenance Calorie Intake
    {[10 x (LBM in lbs) + 500] X Activity Factor} + (TEF)

Where RMR = 10 x (LBM in lbs) + 500

And Activity Factors =
    1.2-1.3 for Very Light (bed rest)
    1.5-1.6 for Light (office work/watching TV)
    1.6-1.7 for Moderate (some activity during day)
    1.9-2.1 for Heavy (labor type work)

TEF (thermic effect of food)= 10-15% X RMR

so 150 lbs of lean body mass for a moderately active person = [10 x 150 + 500] X 1.6 + .10(10 x 150 + 500) = 3400 calories"

4. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

That is a good number to start at the only way you know for sure though is eat that much and see what happens.

5. Uglybob69

Uglybob69 I miss beer.

http://www.abcbodybuilding.com/exercise1.htm for exercises you don't understand.

Do the "I want to look like a bodybuilder" routine. You won't look like a bodybuilder, even after a year busting your ass so don't worry.

6. chknbone

chknbone New Member

I've been there before (5'-10" 270lbs) and one of the biggest things to remember is to take it slooooooowwwwww. If it really is a lifestyle change then you've got PLENTY of time to get "there". I mean 3 months from now when you are really motivated and moving the weights around will you really care that the first couple of times you went you lifted too light? Don't be the guy that goes wide open the first couple of days and then can't move the next morning or worse yet, gets hurt. That just pushes your goal farther and farther away.

And like GT said, you don't want to lift 7 days a week but being "active" 7 days a week is different. I would spend the first 6 weeks (at the very least) lifting only 3x a week with just the core/compound exercises on each day:
    Barbell Bench Press
    Barbell Squat
    Deadlift
    Barbell Curls
    Seated Rows

6 weeks is really too short to build a "base" but it should at least get all the major muscle groups get into the routine of being called on to move something heavier than they are used too.

7. Voltekker

Voltekker Active Member

thanks for the feedback, I actually was worried about starting the weights to soon because I want to do it right. The cardio every morning is actually great so far I just wasnt sure if it was over doing it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.