LifeFitness cable cross

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Peak_Oil, Aug 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peak_Oil

Peak_Oil New Member

http://us.commercial.lifefitness.com/content.cfm/cablemotion

[​IMG]

That's the equipment we have at my new apartment complex. I'll move on to a decent gym in a couple months, but I'm broke so I have to use what's here.

I'm having trouble figuring out how to do squats with this thing. There's a belt and clip I can use, but it's hard to get started. I have to set up the stack, squat down, clip in, and then push up. It's really awkward. I have to go down significantly farther than 90 degrees, then clip in, then take up the slack, and then push.

I have problems with my knees so going down further than 90 degrees is perfectly fine right up until it's not, and then I'm out for a looooong time.

What I've done a couple times is to load up the stacks, take a wide stance (no, not THAT kind of wide stance), cross hold the grips so my arms form an X in front of me and the cables cross under my knees. It's a pretty wide grip, and due to the angle and the short distance I move the weight up, I'm squatting or leg pressing kind of a lot of weight.

I'm having trouble holding on to the grips long enough to finish my sets because of this.

There's a bar attachment that I can put across both pulleys, you can see it in the middle of the photo. The eyes are on each end of the bar rather than having one eye in the middle. I can't figure out how to set up squats with it, though. It's the same problem as clipping in with the belt. I have to get really low and then take up slack, and then the finish is low instead of high.

Maybe it's just awkward for a beginner or something, but there's something about it I just don't like.

In the meantime, I can do lunges with about 100 pounds, which is more than I can handle, so I can just do that instead.

Any suggestions? Should I just stick with lunges and use the cable cross machine for back, chest, arms?

I also hike, jump rope, and bike, so I still get some kind of workout for my legs. I'd rather pack on some muscle though.

Thanks for any feedback.

2. Simple

Simple Sexy Beatch

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.