SRS Life seems really fucked up right now

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Ameter, Jan 13, 2007.

1. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

It's strange. Prior to winter break, everything was going excellently in my life. All my plans were in place, all the pitfalls I'd forseen had been plotted and evasion planned. The framework was in place for my future endeavors, and I felt confident that the greatest number of my challenges had been passed. I even got straight As in every course I'm registered in.

Then comes christmas.

My aunt dies Dec. 27th. I dont find out about it until the 28th, and that night my cousin/landlord decides to evict me, because he wants more money.

Meanwhile, due to government inefficiencies/screwups, my student loan application got rejected. I'm in the middle of getting it all rectified, however the deadline for my tuition fees comes up on the 19th, and I spent the entirety of my savings, plus my RRSPs, plus a $2500 loan to repay the old student loan from 6 years ago (which was in default) to bring me back into good standing so that I could be eligible for further funding.

I had to add two courses, because I'm in a very unique situation with my classification as a student (under my classification, I shouldn't even be in the classes I'm in; my straight As bought me exceptions), and I had to add two to be able to meet scholarship requirements for next year.

This leaves me with no money to pay the remainder of my tuition, and insurance is also sending me a bill for nearly $1K for an accident I had last year that they failed to tell me they'd paid out on (against my instructions).

To top it off, my car inexplicably developed a coolant system problem, right during the -35 cold snap that hit us, overheated, and last I looked in on it, it was smoking on the side of the road :wtc:

Just the other night, my cousin (brother of the one who's evicting me) tried to choke me. I havent seen him since, but he's been coming during the day and moving his stuff out, and he took everything of mine that wasn't locked in my room (bookcase, some movies he'd borrowed and hadn't returned yet, etc)

To top it off, somehow I've gone from friendly terms with a waitress at the campus bar to her having one of the bouncers try to throw me out. Considering I didnt see or speak to her over the break, I'm completely dumbfounded.

That's about the summation of the newest obstacles facing me.

I've found a new place, its much closer to the university, and seems like a great place, but I dont move there for another month. (Feb 14)

The student loan issues are going to get resolved, its just a matter of time.

I have a $1K overdraft that I can dip into for the insurance, and I can let the tuition go overdue, and it'll just cost me extra fees and such, so long as I pay it before the end of the semester.

-------

On a conscious level, I understand that most of these problems are already on the way to being solved, if not solved already, but I still feel like there's an incredible weight on me. I'm having difficulty getting to bed when I should, which is shorting me sleep (have to get up at 6am for class, often dont get to bed until 1:30 to 2am).

My social interactions are getting stunted. I find myself picking inane arguments and pissing people off.

I also seem to have developed a fixation on the thinning hair on the top of my head :wtc:

I'm also having a very hard time getting interested in anything. I'm in a perpetual state of boredom. It doesn't help that the house is a pigsty, thanks to above cousin, who felt it was his right to make a mess of the place and not clean up (that argument is what led to the choking).

Any thoughts/suggestions?

2. toppdogg_1

toppdogg_1 Active Member

Check to see if your University has a short term loan that you can get to pay for tutition that you will be able to pay back once your student loan situation clears up. I know mine does (http://www.washington.edu/students/osfa/shortterm.html). Car overheating could be the thermostat, if it is it's low cost fix if you can do it yourself (parts are like $10-$20). Also with that low of a temperature does your car have enough anti-freeze in it to make sure that the coolant doesn't freeze?

3. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

The car overheating thing is really fucked up. Wed morning, the temp went a little high when stopped at the lights, then normalized as soon as i started driving. Wed night, the heater stopped working, but the temp stayed normal.

Thurs morning, no heater still, temp went into overheating (according to gauge) but the engine sounded perfectly normal (no loping, etc). Then it dropped back to normal and stayed there. Thurs night, it went to overheating, stayed there, and steam was spewing from the rad when i got home.

My dad's coming over tomorrow, we're gonna try to figure it out. It's just going to really suck, since it's still about -15 out before windchill.

As for student loans, I'll have to look into that

4. Akumasun

Akumasun Follow the Light.

Sounds like you handling the problems pretty well man.

Life will do that to you.

Just keep a positive outlook and keep on with the shit your doing.

Things will even out.

:hug:

5. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Well, my dad came over, we looked at the car together. Radiator was empty (not surprising, considering how much it was steaming). Bought two jugs of antifreeze, put about a jug and a half in, plus a half jug of water. We ran the car for a bit, then took it for a drive, and it's all working fine now (including heat, yay!)

The problem is, we didnt actually 'fix' anything, therefore I dont know exactly what went wrong, and whether it'll happen again. Also, when I got back, there was a little bit of steam coming off the radiator. My dad suggested that it could just be some leftovers + spillage from when we were filling it up, but I'm not so sure :wtc:

I just hope if it's a pinhole, its minor enough that I'll be able to get around it for the next few months

6. johan

johan Active Member

Sometimes Financial Services at unis will be able to defer payment a few weeks, while you sort out your student loan hassles. Show them your papers, they'll realize you're not intending to default.

Just go in there and talk to them, they're actually pretty reasonable. At least, they were at my university.

And keep a jug of that antifreeze in your trunk. Since you didn't exactly locate the source/cause of that leak, might happen again while you're on the road.
    A jug in the trunk will let you get home without too much hassle.

7. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

Unfortunately, the only papers I have say that my loan was rejected. :wtc:

As for the leak, there definitely is one. I checked after doing some driving tonight and its all wet under the hood

To top it off, my windshield washer fluid is frozen solid :mad: So much for being good to -40

I do have the jug in the trunk though.

8. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

a small update:

We moved all my books, movies and my bookcases to my new place today (the plan is to gradually move the stuff I dont use regularly, so on the 14th, we only need one trip)

On the way home, I came to the realization and conclusion that I'll withold the final cheque for the half month of rent and tell them I wont pay them until I get my stuff back. I'm not too sure about the legality, but since I'm not refusing to pay, merely telling them to return my stuff and then I'll pay, and their only recourse is to sue me, I'm sure that I wont get screwed.

I'm starting to feel much better. I guess the fact that I'd been cheated and had no method of adressing it was weighing me down. That and I'm about to have a new place :)

9. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Plans. So many things can go wrong with them. Instead of creating a framework, to work around, I just realise the following.

I am in a course.
    I also have these things to take care of.
    I also have "X" unknown value thing that will effect all of this.

I use my agenda fully, and work week by week.

Planning to be somewhere in 6 months will only make time fly by while you try to get to that goal.

Focus on the now. You have problems to address. But do not view them as trying to hinder your ultimate goal. View them as things that you could not plan for, like almost everything in reality. You can not make plans for the unseen. This is why I prefer to address a weekly plan rather then a monthly or bi-monthly plan. I have room for error.

10. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

My plans become more vague the further away they're set for that very reason. But, I'd be a fool to not make a plan for where I'll live next year

11. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Okay, well you must guarantee your safety. Set guidelines to ensure you will be absoloutely safe for next year.

Put some money aside, check out the job situations, what the community is like (very important to have access to programs, clubs, a good job, gym, library, whatever).

Plan now if you expect your situation to change. Do not have the carpet pulled from under you.

12. Ameter

Ameter Active Member

thats pretty much what i do :)

I make contingency plans for if stuff doesn't go as planned, I make a basic outline plan for if things do go as planned, and then proceed :)