SRS Life change

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JohnJohnJohnson, Feb 10, 2008.

1. JohnJohnJohnson

JohnJohnJohnson Effetely Sipping My Latte OT Supporter

I'm moving out!!!!!!!!!!!

!!

Finally.

I've been at college and I've travelled. The rest of the time I have lived at my father's house.

My father has self-induced dementia.

It is called "Korsakoff's" syndrome, which is the medical name for what is a.k.a. "alcohol dementia."

I had never fully warmed to my father, before the disease. I loved him and respected him to the utmost. And though he loved me very, very much. But I never got to the point where I felt good about myself in his presence.

Unfortunately, he drank himself into a brain-damaged stupor before I got the chance to improve our relationship.

He now lives at home with a live-in aide who bathes and feeds him. Currently he recognizes me as his son when I am in his presence.

I just got out of college and have a well paying job. In two months I will be moving into a studio apartment, and while I cannot guarantee anything about the future, my lover and I are currently both enamored of the idea of holing up together in a little place in Manhattan near the middle of the city.

Despite the wonderful turn of events, I'm still nervous about this life transition. So I'm interested in any advice or related experiences you may have.

2. Lucky Penny

Lucky Penny Mr. cut me some slack cause I don't wanna go back,

I have a family member with Korsakoffs too... it's a sad and strange disease, isn't it...

Congrats to your new and exciting step forward :big grin: Don't be afraid! I remember feeling the same way when I first moved out. Right before I moved, I was telling my best friend how I was nervous to move 4 states away all by myself, she looked at me and said "You're the child of an alcoholic- if there is anything your father has taught you, its how to stand on your own two feet." And she was right. :)

The only advice I have is to make sure you have good maps and know where all the local stuff is and how to get there (grocery, laundromat, convenient store, library, police station etc) just in case you don't have internet access. Leaving to go to get last minute groceries at 8pm is no fun when you don't know how to get to the store. I promise.

Enjoy it- onward and upward is a fun place to go :big grin:

3. SixSecrets

SixSecrets New Member

Personally, I am so excited for you...embarking on a new adventure. Sure there will be bad times and good times, and living with someone in grubby a lot (dirty dishes, laundry, cleaning), but if you two will be happy together that's all that matters. Just remember that communication is esssential and the first few couple of months you and your mate will be on a learning curve.
    I wish you the very best of luck.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

I feel really happy for you :)

5. mrchina

mrchina Guest

good luck to you JJJ. Big things dude, big things.

6. JohnJohnJohnson

I'm a little nervous. I try not to think much about the future regarding my relationships because that kind of thought is counter-productive and a waste of energy.

I can't deny that I feel a little nervous. I am really in love with this girl. I know if things go BOOM! (or worse, go fzzzzzzzzzle), I will survive... but the idea of being in NYC with her with our own little place is so, so exciting.

Yeah. :)

7. Midgetized

Midgetized Don't mess with Douche Cat

I thought you had said that you guys were already living together?

8. JohnJohnJohnson

yes

it will probably be somewhat different when it's just our own place