MIL Life after you get out....

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by brittanica, Jul 22, 2009.

1. brittanica

brittanica New Member

My hubby's getting out of the Navy in November. Do any of you guys have any advice about finding a job? He's an ET in the Nuclear Division if that's any help what so ever.

Just wondering if you guys maybe had some websites we could look at? Please and thank you! :)

2. Eng

Eng New Member

if he has a high security clearance he can use that to his advantage. I think there is a website somewhere that has a listing of companies looking for vets with security clearances

3. nsxrebel

nsxrebel New Member

I believe these guys are hiring.
    [​IMG]

4. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

You didn't say how long he has been in but just be aware there will be some adjustment for BOTH of you.
    Unfortunately, spouses didn't get any kind of seps classes when we got out and I didn't have any warnings about the emotional/psychological adjustments from the lifestyle changes. :noes:

5. kazimer

kazimer New Member

tell him to look into BAE or lockheed martin
    they have many transitioning military programs

6. Sheridon13

Sheridon13 New Member

If he has a clearance you can go to sites like clearancejobs.com and such, they hold job fairs around the country regularly.

I'd make sure you have some money save too cause when I separated from the Airforce and found a job, I was broke by the time I found and paid for my first apartment, utilities, food, (just the basics to live). It takes about 2-3 weeks sometimes to get first check from your new employer.

7. brittanica

brittanica New Member

He'll have been in for 6 years...we're trying really hard to save up some money. And I'm not going to school next semester so that I can work as much as possible.

8. PlutoBHG

PlutoBHG New Member

Tell him to pay attention in TAP class and talk to his CC about jobs. Also make sure he contacts the VA as soon as he gets out to re-re-go over his benefits.
    TAP class will probly encourage him to have a resume or 2 made before he gets out, make sure he does this.

9. crucial_fiction

crucial_fiction Active Member

If he's a nuke ET, Emfuser would probably have a plethora of info he could share with him....

10. RougeOgre

RougeOgre FS Librarian and MOD

I know, I can't say I miss the BS.
    But...... I had other Mom's that I could depend on for kid sitting swaps. We had the weekend cookouts/parties. I had people I knew I could depend on and trust with my life. When you get back in the civilian world, people don't understand what your life was like and can't grasp your attitude about certain things. :ugh:

It is almost like living in a foreign country sometimes...... :wtc:

11. Sheridon13

Sheridon13 New Member

I agree, It's amazing how different it is on the civilian side after being miltary. When I was in I knew my neighbors, hung out with them all the time, did the cook out things had parties. Now that I'm out I barely know my neighbors, there isn't the togetherness of the community that the military had.

I miss some of those things.