SRS Life after college graduation

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by legit31679, Apr 8, 2010.

1. legit31679

legit31679 New Member

I am exactly one month away from college graduation. It was always expected of me to go to a good university, be as independent as possible (especially being a woman says my father), and be successful. I was super involved in leadership and social organizations.

Now, I am one month from graduation and my career field has a terrible job market. I am not sure about money and my boyfriend and I plan on moving in together this summer (which just about everyone in my family will be against once I tell them the plan).

Stressing out/worried/unsure. The future just seems black which is something Ive never had to deal with before.
    :dunno: Advice or suggestions are welcome. Similar experience? Post!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2010
  2. porsch1909

porsch1909 OT Supporter

What is your job market?

3. legit31679

legit31679 New Member

Elementary Education Teacher

4. Pepe

Pepe New Member

what state are you in?

honestly, and i hope this doesn't come off wrong because that is not my intent, but i cannot fathom why anyone would want to get into teaching right now. it seems that school districts all over are cutting staff due to budget cuts, losing benefits, while dealing with bigger classrooms and more students/headaches. i'm all for helping and if you are interested in it to help make a difference with our youth, then i commend you and appreciate it, it is just something i would never do nor recommend, at this point in time, to anyone i cared about.

have you completed your student teaching yet? thought about a masters program?

5. legit31679

legit31679 New Member

yes, its a terrible market right now and an under appreciated profession. In this current economy though, so many people are getting laid off, budget cuts, worse benefits etc ... not just in the teaching profession. Companies want money and don't care about their employees enough to think about how it affects their lives.

I am about 4 week away from a degree and finishing student teaching. I have thought about getting my masters if I dont get a job. I do have an IT background from college, but it was too late to change majors at school.

6. CA

CA New Member

I wouldn't stress about the particular market for teachers right now. It seems like the job market is bad all around. You learn to take those Newsweek blurbs that talk about which field is "hot" on hiring at the moment with a grain of salt when it changes every week. You don't have to stay in that career field right now anyway. You will be able to get interviews with just having a college education and showing some interest; it doesn't necessarily matter what your degree is in. I graduated last year with a degree in English (and the "do you want fries with that?" comments that go along with it) and am working in finance at the moment. Getting the degree is the important thing right now I think. You can worry about specializing in something later on.

7. Spaceering

Spaceering I bite.

move to texas. the market for teachers is not terrible :eek3: (although not the best education system :wtc:)

8. GregFarz78

GregFarz78 New Member

What state? Teaching job market in this area is still ok. Either stay in school or be willing to relocate to an area the job market is better.

9. Pepe

Pepe New Member

look for an IT job as well to pay the bills

i wouldn't worry so much about the job market for teachers, as it will come back. i would worry more about states slashing their benefits. jobs will come back, but it will be a long time (if ever) before benefits get to where they used to be, which was one of the major draws to teaching.

10. slimBoost

slimBoost New Member

Hey, I'm not here to depress you but i graduated last May and this is my current situation.

1. I had to move back home due to procrastination in applying to grad and medical schools.
    2. No friends are at home.
    3. It took me 7 months to find a job that has done nothing but make me more depressed.
    4. I feel like there's no point to living a miserable life working just to make payments.
    5. I hope to God, or whomever you so choose, that it turns out better for you.

The job market is crap, my girlfriend is in your same field but needs a masters since we live in NY. My advice to you is to appear in person to job sites rather than Spam your resume. Doing that is not applying, getting actual face time is a big plus, it is what landed me my job now, but like i said i hate it.

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Looking for a job sucks no matter what the market is. It just seems like everyone puts you under a microscope and judges you harshly...sometimes way too harshly. Thing is, don't accept it as a judgment and try to remain positive. It's difficult to remain positive especially when you're depressed and/or start getting desperate to find a job. When the money starts getting really low, it can compound to make things really bleak.

Try to do things to keep yourself positive. Exercise, get lots of sleep, eat well and read motivational books. Try not to give into the negativity because you can't afford it....it's a luxury. You need to stay positive so try to be good to yourself and realize that this too shall pass.

Good luck...I hope you find a job soon.

12. deXTuX

deXTuX New Member

Here's my situation:

Got engaged March 2008. Wife graduated with a Bachelors in Communications in May 2008. I graduated with an Associates in Computer Networking in June 2009. Wife had to move home due to not being able to find a job and having no money after graduating. Took her two months to find a part-time job with terrible pay. I got a part-time job in April 2009 in a banks IT department. Got married in June 2009 - finally got a full-time job at the bank and my wife is still working two crappy part-time jobs.

Not the best life but at least it's a start to something. :(