Lifan Chinese Knockoff Bikes?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by GammaRadiation, Jun 10, 2008.

1. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

[​IMG]

-200cc Air Cooled Honda-Designed motor Built by Lifan
    -5 Speed Transmission with Racing Clutch
    -Front disk brake
    -Rear Drum Brake
    -Top Speed: 80mph+ There are guys who have got them to brake 100 with gearing changes and minor modifications.
    -100mpg, 220miles + per 14 litre tank of medium grade.

For the price I'd honestly buy one if I had 100% confidence that it would treat me well as long as I took care of it properly. I dont want anything fast, not even looking to do interstate trips. I want something for around my home town and around tampa that gets great gas milage. For comparison (so I am not lectured about how 600cc sport bikes are entry level) I was looking at 49cc 2-stroke scooters first so I wouldnt have to get a motorcycle license or carry registration.

They also make a 200cc roadster bike and a 400cc roadster bike. The 400cc motor is water cooled. If I could get the 400cc motor on the sport bike from that would be badass. :hsd:

They rev to 10,000+ RPM too and are really easy to work on.

If I got one I would modify the intake, put on the performance exhaust, put the high performance CDI iginition on it and run 92 octane, and up the gearing so it will run over 100mph. If I could get a used one and buy the 400cc motor and trans I'd make it an uber budget project bike.

2. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Whats this thing cost around $1400-1500? Look for a used ninja250 or even 500. ex250 Speed and MPG will be comparable and if something breaks you wont have to wait for parts to come from china.

3. GammaRadiation

$1400 shipped to my door. I just have to put the front wheel on and check major bolts (they dont always assemble them to top notch standards).

I am still leaning in the Ninja 250 direction. If I find one in my price range it is mine for sure. The demand for them is so high right now that I cant pick one up at a decent price.
    Motorcycle season in Florida is 365.

The Ninja is water cooled, probably more reliable, makes 10hp more, similar torque curve, better transmission, and is only 20mpg off of the Lifan. There is also a real aftermarket for it, where as the Lifan aftermarket is self modified honda parts and DIY modifications.

The lifans' fork leaves much to be desired acording to real motorcycle riders (not that I would know the difference, being that I only have some dirtbike experience). Also, rear drum brakes. :ugh:

I wish there was a real, reliable source for 3rd party info on this bike. All I can find that is decently reliable is fan forums.

4. squid

squid braap

When (not if) it breaks, you'll never be able to get parts. The dirt bikes are good for MAYBE an afternoon in the desert.

5. Subie Driver

Subie Driver Eye see what you did there.

Don't buy a cheap knock-off like that, you WILL regret it. Keep looking for a Ninja 250, it will be much more reliable, more modable, and better made. Don't settle for a lesser product.

6. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

Engine development will be terrible. It will break after a few months most likely. Theres a reason why Hondas, Suzukis, etc cost a lot more. And its mostly because of the engine.

That bike looks terrible.

7. AutoEuphoria

AutoEuphoria New Member

WTF?

8. GammaRadiation

In the bike's defense, from what I understand the engine is just a honda engine from years past built by someone else. The bike is far less complex. Hence the drum brakes and poor suspension and air cooled engine and cheapie guage cluster.

I still agree 100%. I think I would be better off with a ninja or similar if I can find one in my price range that lasts long enough for me to pick it up. I guess if I really want one I will just have to have cash in hand and keep a keen eye on craigslist and autotrader and such.

Apparently these are new to the US and are being distributed like the pitbikes and the pocket rockets. In the UK, they've had them for a bit and they are a Daewoo of motorcycles.

9. igotyofire

igotyofire New Member

i have a buddy in europe who works for ricardo, interesting picture source heh

10. Ghost Load

Ghost Load i'll see your kidcarson and geekboy and raise you OT Supporter

i frll in love with/almost bought a vor. a goregous spanish dirt bike then i heard there were no parts in the usa. fuck that. i wait long enough for triumph parts.