COMIC Licensing question

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Shaggy007, Jun 8, 2004.

1. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

It's a pretty simple question. I've noticed that some animes have been licensed already, ie Samurai Champloo by Geneon.
    Now I was under the understanding that once an anime got licensed that groups would drop it. But Champloo is still being subbed.

Is it just that it's licensed in Japan only now and they haven't worked out deals to bring it over seas or what?

2. Draven2575

Draven2575 Taking one responsibility at a time

i always thought when it was being brought over to the US
    but i'm glad 'other' groups pick it up and continue the subs :bowdown:

3. Shaggy007

Shaggy007 New Member

The thing is though Geneon is a US lincensing company. It's formerly known as Pioneer.

FMA got dropped like a brick the day it got licensed.

But yeah as long as I'm getting my episode I'm not worried too much. Guess I shouldn't be too curious.

4. tom3

tom3 ...

it really depends on the group that's subbing it. some believe that if it's licensed, you should pay for it starting then, and they stup subbing the series. for example, that's the take by www.animesuki.com... they don't link to fansubs of licensed series. there are tons of other websites that link to groups (i.e. aone, af, kaa, etc) that still continue subbing. licensed anime isn't too big of a deal in the states, so :dunno:

5. I always wonder about who is doing the subbing. People that learned Japanese as a second language, native speakers, etc etc.