License questions.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by BMH, Sep 28, 2007.

1. BMH

BMH New Member

so im wondering.can you get a motorcycle license at the age of 16(atleast a permit to ride).or do u have to be strictly 18(20something in some areas?)?.thanks for your help/ideas//Ben.
    oh i currently ride motocross.but would get a sport bike or dual sport.for street just wondering on the license issue/

2. Mike4831

Mike4831 “Dream as if you’ll live forever, live as if you’l

i think it might depend on the state you live in. i would imagine you have to be at least 18. my personal opinion is you need to wait til you are 21

3. BMH

BMH New Member

I live in california,.and my friends have told me it changed.but im not too sure,u where i could check?

4. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

not sure man. a motorcycle is just a motored vehicle on the street. same rules should apply. so 16 would be my guess.

5. Frequency

Frequency New Member

IMO you @ 16 you shouldn't have a drivers license, but with that said.
    I believe you can get your classM permit after you have your regular license but you should probably wait a few years

6. wetwillie

wetwillie New Member

In my state, Oklahoma, it's not called a class M license...they call it getting an M endorsement. I'm not if that matters, I'm just saying....

When I was growing up, you could get a motorcycle only license at the age of 14, iirc. I think that was an actual different license than the one you got when you turned 16, like looked differently and all that. However, I think they raised it up to 16 and dropped the separate license and just went with an M endorsment.

You can call your local testing center. Here it's the Highway Patrol office and talk to them about it. Or you might call a tag agency, either one should know the laws in your state.

Whatever you do tho, invest in an actual Motorcycle Safety Course offered by the MSF foundation. It's about a weekend long course but it really helps explain a lot of things about motorcycles. Most ppl don't want to be bothered with learning how to ride and the statistics show that these people are more likely to get in motorcycle wrecks.

It's much harder to ride when you hurt so it's better to NOT get hurt. Therefore, take an MSF class and improve your odds of not getting hurt.

Ride safe.

7. BMH

BMH New Member

I actually asked,and they said its easier to get it when you have a license(C).i wouldnt mind riding with only a permit.due to im under 18.but over here at 15 1/2 u could get a permit,or license (forgot).thanks for your help.

8. aCab

aCab New Member

In GA, you can get your M endorsement at 16, but a legal guardian has to be there to sign off on it. At 18, you can get it by yourself. Here you can (a)get a permit allowing you to ride in daylight hours and off the interstate and take your test to get your license (b) take the test at the DMV and get it or (c) take the MSF and waive both.

9. spyder2581

spyder2581 Active Member

I was just reading about it in michigan and you can get your endorsement here (but you have to take an extra safety class I believe)

10. Kenny Powers

Kenny Powers OT Supporter

:werd:

I think here in NJ you can get your permit at 16, and at 17 you can go ahead and get the endorsement provided you have 6 months or more of permit riding.

The driving laws have been changed recently so I don't know if it's still setup like that, but thats how it was when I was getting my endorsement.

11. pengboy

pengboy iStunt

when i took the MSF class there was one or two people under the age of 18. they had to bring their parent(s) to sign a weaver and i think that was it. think you need to wait a year after you get your L tho. i would call a MSF class to find out or look it up on their site.

edit:

i took the class around x-mas of 06

Last edited: Oct 18, 2007
  12. vile1

vile1 New Member

In california you can get your motorcycle permit to drive to and from school/work at 15 and a half. Once you turn 16 you are able to go and get your full-blown class M1 license.

What state are you in?

13. BMH

BMH New Member

yeah i recently read that(15 1/2).I didnt know i could get the M1 at 16 thanks!