License management software

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by DAN513, Sep 21, 2009.

1. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

I've got about 75 systems and I need to keep track of what software I have installed on them and the licenses that correspond to them.

As is, I have a mix of Adobe and MS software, but none of what I'm doing justifies getting enterprise licensing, so I've got OEM for most MS software and retail boxes for the Adobe stuff.

Right now I'm just using an Excel spreadsheet for this. I've got different tabs for each type of software and on the tabs I have the current name of the system, the system tag, the serial number of the software installed, the vendor where I bought it, the invoice number and date it was purchased on.

It's working well for what I need, but obviously it takes some work to keep up to date.

Is there something a bit more automated that I can use that will do what I need?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Well Magic Jellybean finder should help get you started. However, at the end of the day what I chose to do is get licensing and augment it with OEM purchases which makes the info invalid since they all use the same VL key. So which key goes with what becomes irrelevant - you just need to keep the OEM discs in a locked cabinet, never to be used again.

You should also think about installing a Spiceworks server - it inventories all of your hardware and software for you - with a little bit of help. It's free, just needs a box for it to be installed on.

3. DAN513

DAN513 OT Supporter

Spiceworks looks pretty slick, I may have to give it a shot. We did a mass office upgrade in July so I still have a stack of older workstations and a server kicking around.