Lian Li case - my last one

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by dissonance, May 8, 2009.

1. dissonance

dissonance reset OT Supporter

Lian Li case - arg...

I must say, after all I hear about Lian Li that I had high expectations when I ordered my PC-A77B case:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811112176

Well, first off, it came with several bags of screws. Why the hell would one back contain the motherboard stand-offs and PSU screws and the motherboard screws in another bag... This caused me to destroy the threads on 1 screw and 1 stand-off. Yes, I know there is a review on newegg mentioning this but I had forgotten when it came time for installation. When I realized what was going on I remembered that review.

Secondly, the thermometer fan control, why no instructions on setup whatsoever... none that are useful with hardware installation.

Third, 1 of the 2 drive bay fans won't spin. I've switched the PSU connect it hooks up to and no fix. I checked to make sure the wire was in the fan and all....

My experience with Cooler Master and Antec has been nothing but flawless. This, my first and last experience with Lian Li has been nothing but a headache.

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. 7960

7960 New Member

$280 for a case?

a CASE??

it's just a black box.

:ugh:

3. lowfat

lowfat 24/Mac/SciFi/PC Crew OT Supporter

should of bought a high end Silverstone :o

Build quality of Lian Li doesn't come close. Over the past 5 years or so, the fit and finish of Lian Li leaves something left to be desired.

4. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

They look beautiful, but the ones i've seen in person have been too fragile for my tastes.

And I agree with the Antecs being solid designs. Excellent cooling and quiet cases across the board.

5. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

wow, you spent more on your case than i spent on my mobo, ram, and processor, :rofl:

6. MrEous

MrEous OT Supporter

Jesus that price is outrageous for a case...max I'd spend is $100 and that's stretching it. lol

7. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

so your problem are the screws, user manual, and possibly a dead fan,.. and not the actual case itself
    kind of retarded to hate lian-li for that since those complaints are quite common to any case manufacturer

i checked the manual online. there's pictures and wire diagrams for the fan controller. i don't see the problem. it installs like any other fan controller. :dunno:

it's still a nice case, but a poor choice at that price point, imo
    should have bought the tj09

8. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

you guys think that's outrageous?
    wait till you see my TJ07 :hsd:

9. dissonance

TJ09 wouldn't work for what I'm wanting to do. I needed at least 12 5.25" external bays (I guess 11 would work as well).

10. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

nevertheless,.. that lian-li is still a nice case
    i'd buy it,... its basically a full tower version of my A16
    those adjustable drive cages are awesome,.. they don't amplify noise/vibration like what Antec use.

using 2 on mine (w/ 6 hdds), plus 2 optical drives and a card reader

[​IMG]

can't really blame you on the screws,... just chalk it up to experience.
    it IS good practice to count, sort, and test fit those shit before building. doesn't matter if its lian-li, antec, or whatever.

again,.. the fan controller is easy to install. it's basically a pass through between the fan and the mobo's fan header or psu plug. the sensors can be installed anywhere you like.

lian-li stock fans are garbage. i replace mine with yate loons and scythes

11. dissonance

Other than my complaints its a very nice case. I just expected a little more from them when spending $300.

As for the fan controller, I assume I would have had no problem if it wasn't my first one. I wasn't sure where I was supposed to put the sensors and just assuming the yellow stickers (that were in a different bag than the controller's battery) were for attaching the sensors. I also didn't know for sure if the 1 power connect was for the unit or the unit & fans. I initially didn't think it was used to power the fans and couldn't figure out how to get power to them... then I thought about it and felt stupid. Again though, for $300 I expect to have instructions that cover all possible questions.

The fan is turning out to be a non issue. Lian Li said to RMA the whole case to newegg, which would suck. Newegg said that I can't just RMA the fan but they would send me any fan under $25 that I thought would work for free... even better (should be recieving a Scythe replacement).
    ----------------------
    I made my initial post right after getting it all together, powered up, and noticing the fan and checking into it. Not nearly as agitated now as I was then....

12. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

the sensors can be placed anywhere. usually, people put them on the northbridge, ram, psus, or hdds.
    the thermal tape/pads are used to secure it.

don't bother putting it on the cpu area. it will not be as accurate as coretemp/realtemp or bios sensors.

if you are still unsure of anything,... checkout the manuals for Zalman fan controllers and just learn the concept. they make good instruction manuals.

13. Doomsday

Doomsday XXX

btw, some use thermal adhesive/epoxy such as those sold by Arctic Silver instead of the thermal tape

14. dissonance

Thanks for the info. I initially didn't even plan on hooking it up but decided I would since I had it. After getting it all done but the sensors, I decided to unhook it since I know I won't ever use it....

15. Doc Brown

404 - Antec amplifying hard drive noise not found.

16. SeeVinceRun

SeeVinceRun Currently In Prison OT Supporter

I don't think Ive ever had that problem, either. I had two 640gb WD blacks spinning away in my 900, and I usually use the 300 when I do builds. All are pretty quiet, considering the front is mostly mesh...

17. Doc Brown

I've got an older Antec 3700 series case, and a couple of newer NSK cases with the silicone grommets. I've ran everything from IDE, SATA, 15k scsi drives to Raptors in there, and you can barely hear the drives at all.
    On the other hand I have a Chenbro server case with hot swap trays that I want to throw through the window it's so loud. If I do anything that causes the drives to do heavy seeking, you would think there was an old dot matrix printer in there.

18. SeeVinceRun

I have an old no name case that literally sounds like its going to fall apart if the hard drive so much as thinks about seeking. I went through it for about half an hour looking for something loose, I was sure it couldn't be JUST the drive rattle. Its now sitting on my floor, hard drive sitting n the bottom of the case so its silent.

19. Doc Brown

lol, it's amazing how loud it can get. one thing the antecs have shown me though is that even a little bit of rubber between the drive and the cage, quiets it down quite a bit. The older 3700 series only had a tiny little O-ring between the drive and the cage, but it still made a big difference.

20. rsxm5

rsxm5 OT Supporter

I have a Lian Li and I like it just fine :dunno:
    Very easy to build in to..
    I did replace all the fans right away though... the stock ones aren't great.

[​IMG]

21. Sailor Jerry

Sailor Jerry OT Supporter

I have a Lian-Li PC-61 that I've used for like four builds now. Best case I've ever used, I just wish I had the new version with a 120mm fans instead of 80mm.

22. SeeVinceRun

I'm going to have to go get some rubber o-rings and see if I cant get this bitch to calm down. I tried to use it for networked storage, but it was like putting a handful of nickels in a blender when I tried to do anything.

23. Harry Caray

Harry Caray Fine purveyor of x.264, h.264 & TS HD-Video !!! HD

Ummmm... its called get a CM Stacker and load it up.. don't play around with toys...

24. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Real men tell Dell to build their workstation for them, and if shit goes down, they'll be there in 4 hours to fix it while you check your email on your laptop.

Naw, they ain't 20's, just 5-year support contracts, but I keep 'em clean.

25. Cock Diesel

Cock Diesel New Member

Lian Li cases are nice but FUCK those are expensive.

Antec cases are pretty solid and look good, as well as being cheaper.