LG Shine or Sony Ericsson w580i

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by sXeVegan, Jul 22, 2008.

1. sXeVegan

sXeVegan Custom User Title

Which phone does OT prefer? The w580i is free. The shine is $50 after rebate. The shine feels a little more sturdy, but the sony supposedly has a little better reception. I know the buttons crack in the 580, but that's the only negative I've really heard.

I'm looking for something that works as a good mp3 player and possibly a movie player. Camera quality isn't so important.

Which do you think would be more water resistant? I'm a cyclist and I sweat a lot. I don't want the phone to get water damage.

Thanks!

2. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

I hated the 580 and returned it right away. LG phones have always been the greatest for me and got the best reception. I tried the sony again because I like some of the features, but I had also broke a the previous model twice. I dont even know what I was thinking getting a sony again, but i tried, it failed and i moved back to LG.

3. ///M

///M New Member

shine

sony's menu system is cumbersome at times

4. Pllwntr

Pllwntr New Member

Two seconds.

Why would sony have better reception?

Its the reception from the provider, not how good the phone is at grabbing the little blips.

Dragons den - Reception sponge

5. sXeVegan

sXeVegan Custom User Title

I've read the sony has great reception.

Why is it that two people with the same carrier but different phones can have different signals at that same place and same time?

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

FALSE. It is a well known fact (and admitted by every major carrier) that the handset being used GREATLY affects the received signal quality, and the handsets ability to communicate with the tower. Better antenna, along with better processors will receive weaker signals better and will operate for longer distances. That's why several carriers still offer "bag phones" for users demanding service in extremely remote areas -- they work better than normal handsets.

7. Pllwntr

Pllwntr New Member

Ummm....

8. RedVsBlue

RedVsBlue Penguins > *

Thats so rediculously untrue.

Hell, im sitting here in my office with my business phone. Obviously our business provides us with the same service, but we get to choose our phones. There are several people in the building that get no service at all, while some will get 2 or 3 bars.

The phone has a very significant impact on the strength of your signal. Get two phones on the same network and try it out. If you still don't believe that, ill try to get some pics up of our phones laying here together if the quality is good enough to show the difference in signals bars each is getting.

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

LG or Sony? They both suck.