Lexus IS350 + DP Poli-Coat/Crimson Hydro-Tech initial review

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by Scottwax, Apr 12, 2010.

1. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

2007 Lexus IS350. I've been doing exterior details on it for around 3 years now. Never gone into it harder than an orange cutting pad and Meguiars #205 or Optimum Polish II. Owner does a nice job washing it because it is very minimally swirled. I suppose it could use some rotary work to make pretty much perfect, but still looks better in the sun than 99% of the cars you'll run across.

Polished this time with my G110 using an orange 5.5" Erasure cutting pad and Meguiars #205.

I then followed with DP's Poli-Coat, which Autogeek was kind of enough to send me to test, along with the Crimson Hydro-Tech finishing pad. Poli-Coat is a lot thicker than I expected, more in line with a polish than an LSP. The label on the bottle says it contains cleaners to help prep the paint, probably in line with what you'd find in Werkstat's Prime or Zaino AIO.

I'd already tried Poli-Coat on my own car by hand so I was interested to see how using it via DA would compare.

The thickness of Poli-Coat and the softness of the H-T pad meant at first the combo was really grabby via my G110 at a speed of 4. Once I got a bit more product on the pad and kicked the speed to 4.5, it smoothed things out. 3 pea sized dots were enough for two doors or the entire hood (or similar surface area). I applied it to the entire car and then buffed it off, just as I had done by hand on my car. Honestly, since Poli-Coat doesn't have any abrasive properties that could cause fingertip marring when applying by hand, I think that's going to be my preferred method simply because I an apply it faster by hand than by a DA polisher. However, for those who like using a machine through the whole process, Poli-Coat works well with the H-T finishing pad.

The initial slickness is okay, but just like it did on my car, the slickness noticeably improves over the course of an hour or so. The look is a lot less "sealanty" than the original DP sealant that came out about 4-5 years ago. Looks similar to Meguiars NXT2.0 to me. Certainly looked good on the Lexus. :)

Exhaust was polished with Optimum Metal Polish, tires dressed with the sample of Black Onyx Tire Gel-definitely has some gloss to it!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What intrigues me about this product is that it is said to have the ability to withstand harsh wash detergents, which sounds perfect for a customer of mine who runs his ES350 through a touchless wash 3-6 times a week, depending on the weather. He has me wax his car every 2 months since he realizes how harsh the touchless detergents are. I'll be very interested to hear what he has to say about Poli-Coat after I apply it to his car tomorrow and his wash regiment begins.

2. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

Great write up, Scott. Paint looks very consistent and glossy over the entire car. But I can't help but wonder if a coat of wax would amp the depth of gloss on this car? (maybe the depth improves with curing?) What's the cure time on Poli-Coat?

Why would I use this over Opti-Seal?

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I don't know what the cure time is but slickness improves over the next several hours. I believe the major selling point of Poli-Coat is that it is resistant to both touchless and tunnel wash soaps, making it good for customers who get their cars detailed a couple times a year but otherwise don't wash their cars themselves.

Definitely not as easy to apply as OS, the thickness makes application tougher than most waxes since it doesn't spread as easily. I'll have to see how it holds up to decide what place it takes in my LSP arsenal.