Lexus IS300 vs Acura TSX...used...opinions and thoughts?

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by 6SpeedTA95, Feb 4, 2006.

1. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Hey guys just curious as to what you guys have to say about the IS300 vs the Acura TSX...manual transmission is a must, 20k price limit and max of 50k miles. What would you choose and why?

I've yet to drive a TSX but I am driving a few of them next weekend. I'd like your opinions on this.

2. Y2kAccord

Y2kAccord Everything happens for reasons I just dont know

so a Civic or an Accord

hmmm the choices :mamoru:

3. chamackO

chamackO New Member

show me a tsx <50k miles for 20k bux.

4. ///M

///M New Member

5. Lucien

Lucien Guest

Get the IS, it has more potential as the 2jz(noshit) can easily be modded, and its RWD.

6. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

All you gotta do is look, dealerships have them priced between 21,499 and 23,000 or an 04 model...there's probably 3 to 5k worth of negotiations in each one of those....

7. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

The car will probably not be modded with the exception of maybe a CAI and computer tune...

Exhausts available for the IS300 are all going to increase noise levels at freeway speeds. With the TSX there may be a couple that dont get loud till 4000rpm but I dunno about an exhaust or any other mods on whatever I get. I plan on getting another toy a year or two down the road for my modding pleasure.

8. machine81

machine81 New Member

TSX is pretty sweet lookin', but I'd go with the Lexus. Pretty stout engine in that thing.

9. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

even though the warranty isn't 7/100k powertrain?

Even though I'd have to get a 2002ish IS300 instead of an 04?

10. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

IS is probably the better overall balanced car. Just think you're going to be looking at older ones vs. the TSX.

If you're building a project car...the 2JZ-GE isn't bad but you're far better off ripping it out and putting in a GTE at which point you might as well find a Supra. That and the 5spd isn't as tough as the V160 6spd of the Supra Turbo.

TSX is a bit overweight for the 2.4L but it's still fun to play with and the 6spd makes for great fuel economy.

11. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

It's not a project car or something I'm going to mod heavily if at all. It's a DD, I plan on buying a 92 Z28 or a 91 Vette as a toy in a few years.

12. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Basically I want a car with a decent stereo and something thats comfortable to drive in. My car is too loud at high speeds and too uncomfortable for long trips and the wife and I have a couple road trips planned the next few years.

13. Jkuao

Jkuao New Member

I'd go with the TSX. It's a bit more modern and more liveable if you don't mind the relative lack of low end. 30+mpg on the highway and pretty decent front seats make for a good cruiser. Neither are great for 4-5 people on long trips though unless they're kids.

Given the IS250/350, the new Lexus wins easily but you can get a newer Acura than the 300 and you end up with more warranty. In all honesty you wouldn't really go wrong with either car since they're both very reliable. Just go with the one you like driving more since they're virtually identical in interior room and dimensions.

14. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Yeah...

I'm pretty sure I'll like the way the IS300 drives better, but the lower gas mileage and stiffer suspension may not be a good thing in the long term. As I said I plan on buying another toy down the road, a vette or Z28 or something to that affect...but damn I love the IS300 and the TSX...car choices suck, I just want one of everything.

15. Siblack

Siblack Old Member

test drive them back to back. i mean, one is a 4cyl fwd and the other one is a 6cyl rwd. as far as i'm concerned, they are completely different cars.

16. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Yes they are completely different cars....

I just wonder if in the long run 2, 3 and 4 years out when I hopefully have another toy if I wont be glad I went with the TSX (better mileage, cheaper initial cost for a newer vehicle) if I do get a vette or a Z28 I'll have plenty of torque for a toy and a car that is easily made pretty fast...where the TSX would provide a great deal of highway enjoyment...

The Lexus however provides a more sporting and fun car overall (I'm guessing since I haven't driven a TSX).

17. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

I've driven my friends TSX, and it is a slow car, no doubt about it. He has exhaust, and its really not all that loud at all. The interior is excellent IMO, everything about it is nicely laid out, the navi works well, and its put together very well. I wouldnt buy one to be fast, but for a daily driven car, they're excellent IMO.

18. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Neither the IS300 or the TSX is a fast car, but they dont qualify as slow in my book...and anything I get next will be a major step down in power :wtc: :hs:

19. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Have you driven one? They're torquless wonders, like most honda's. I found myself running it to 5k just to get on the interstate :hs:

Dont get me wrong, I love the TSX, the interior sells it for me all the way. And they drive smooth, they're just slow

20. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Of course its gutless at low RPM the motors are designed that way...I'm driving some of them this weekend...

Lack of torque does not automatically mean lack of fun...I like winding a motor especially if I know I wont break it :)

21. WhiteSSP

WhiteSSP OT Supporter

Yeah, but its pretty gutless at high RPM too. And the car isnt exactly light. The 6 speed is nice though. Dont get me wrong, I like the car, but they just are not fast, even if you spin them all the way up to 7k, it still doesnt feel like it moves.

Of course, i'm coming from my SRT4 daily driver, and my LT1.

22. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

Yeah I also have an LT1...I know the car isn't fast, but from what I've been reading its gobs of fun and has plenty of pep for daily driving.

I think I'd prefer an IS300 but the newer platform and lower price of the TSX along with better interior all add up to an impressive combination.

23. red97gst

red97gst New Member

i think the TSX is a better choice; the FWD will be better in foul weather. And I doubt you'll be driving the IS300 hard enough to the point that you'll notice the RWD superiority on dry pavement that often; and the interior quality on the Acura is better. Maintenance on the 4cyl will be cheaper as well.

But drive the TSX first, and see if its something u can see yourself in every day

24. the slowness

the slowness OT Supporter

The TSX is nice and it's peppy enough for a daily.Plus the 6spd trans is fucking top notch:wackit:

25. 6SpeedTA95

6SpeedTA95 OT Supporter

truth