GUN Lever Gun Recos

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by The Lox, Jul 28, 2009.

1. The Lox

The Lox New Member

So I don't have one in my collection, I want one. So far I have been looking at Henrys, I really like the fact they are 100% US made. This weekend at a gun show I saw quite a few Marlins and Winchesters though.

Caliber wise I am just looking for something big enough to do some damage, 30-30, 45 colt, something of that nature.

Watchya think?

2. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I have a Marlin that pulls occasional truck gun duty.

Wasn't really impressed by the Henry's nor the Winnies (had one of those too). Bullet/cartridge selection sucks, in comparison. Wish Savage still made the 99's.

3. The Lox

The Lox New Member

So the Marlins offer more options is what you are saying? I did notice that Henry seems to make mostly .22 caliber rifles. Not sure why

4. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Henry did make a "Big Boy" (think that was what it was called) in 44mag I think. I haven't seen one in awhile though.

I like the Marlins better myself. Side ejection vs top, usually a better trigger/slicker action, more caliber choices, etc.

If I was just buying one to blast around with, I'd heavily consider getting a 357 and stoking it with 38spl's. I shot a cowboy action match a long time ago with one of the above, and it was quite a bit of fun.

5. Styk

Styk Active Member

I want a lever action also.. looked at a few marlins... My wife would kill me if i bought one right now though..

6. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I've been meaning to hit up walmart and see what the price on a .357 marlin is there today. It used to be under $400 although I wonder if it still is... I'm not a big fan of pistol caliber rifles but I think it might be a fun toy and I already keep a giant can of .38spl loaded

7. acoop101

acoop101 New Member

I got to shoot a lever gun in 45-70 now there is a gun that will do some damage. But it will also eat a huge hole in your wallet.

8. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

The the pistol caliber lever actions run about $400? My gf is going to be needing one as a truck gun here in less than a year.

9. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

10. Captain Haddock

Captain Haddock Blistering Barnacles OT Supporter

I have a lever henry .22 that I use for squirrel hunting. :love: that rifle

11. bobotech

bobotech New Member

I have a 357/38spcl Puma that is extremely reliable and fun to shoot.

Also have a 45-70 Marlin Cowboy that is a hoot. 9 shots of 45-70. Can't beat that. I love the octagon barrel on it to.

I am getting a 45colt Puma as well, that is just going to be for fun. It was worked over by Steve of Steve's Guns so it should be slicker than whale poop.

I also have a 1887 12 gauge lever shotgun replica. Tons of fun.

12. skeletor25rs

skeletor25rs Yetis & Deer

Few things are as fun as a short stroked lever action and a bucket of free ammo:love:

Pretty much the only way I can be persuaded to do the 6 hour each way trip to the in-laws:rofl:

13. elgrapadora

elgrapadora New Member

Is the 1887 a norinco or some other replica? Ive been toying with the idea of getting one for shits and giggles but norincos cant be imported into the US :(

14. bobotech

bobotech New Member

Yes, it is built by the Norinconians :)

We can't import non-sporting arms from China. The lever action shotgun falls under the sporting arms exemption. Norinco themselves were banned from exporting because they were exporting to some other countries that weren't exactly friendly with the US a few years ago. So a different company now exports the shotguns for IAC even though they are still built by the same people.

http://www.iacshotguns.com/

I would love to be able to get new Norinco 1911s or more MAK90s but alas...

If you buy one, get it all slicked up by Coyote Cap: http://www.coyotecap.com/shotgun_work.htm

15. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

I have a Marlin 30-30 it is one of my favorite guns. I wanna get a saddle holster so I can put it on the horse when I go riding.

Maybe i'm just a pussy but shooting 170 grain rounds out of it makes it kick like a fucking mule. 40 rounds and im done and ready to put it away.

16. elgrapadora

elgrapadora New Member

Bah, being a college student makes firearms ownership much harder and much more tempting. Alas, I dont know of any place where I could use the shotgun, as the only place I go to shoot is an indoor range and limits shotgun use to slugs. I also want to get a marlin or winchester in .357/.38spl for the cost range.

17. john in jax

john in jax New Member

I really like the '94's by both Marlin and Winchester, but like phrozenlikwid the Marlins seem to have a few advantages that make them better IMO.

An 1894 in .44mag makes a great brush/truck gun and is popular enough that you can find used ones out there at reasonable prices. .357mag lever actions are highly sought and seem to run $100 more than .44's, just because they are much more scarce.

I think if you start checking Mfg websites for ballistics data you'll find most of your common off-the-shelf .45LC isn't as strong/hot as the equivalent in .44mag. There are .45LC loads that exceed .44mag loads, but they are by specialty/premium Mfgs and cost a whole lot more.

An 1894 in .357 has little to no recoil and is extremely fun for all ages/builds. The .44 will tap your shoulder but it is not painful, no where near the thumping you'd get from a high power rifle.

Due to the differences in over-all case length you sometimes run into feed issues with the shorter "Spl" cartridges since the action is designed for the longer "Mag" rounds.

18. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

So this is an odd question, but I'm gonna ask it anyways

I've looked at the ballistics over and over again, but wanted opinions of people who have shot them. Would a lever action .44 mag be enough to take out a cow or a horse? And would a 5'1 115 lb girl be able to handle one easily?

19. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I don't know hunting wild cows :)mamoru:) but a .22 to the head isn't an uncommon way to dispatch cows. With a .44mag you might be complicating matters more if we're talking about slaughtering animals.

20. 1979TA

1979TA OT Supporter

For cows it would be if there was an outbreak of hoof and mouth and a large number are needed to be euthanized

For horses, if they go into shock their body won't circulate the drugs and you have to go in rectally to cut the aorta. Not a safe thing to do when a horse is cast, in shock and thrashing around. I've seen vets dump a whole truck load of drugs into a horse and it not die.

21. The Lox

The Lox New Member

This week on Shooting Gallery they had a whole episode about lever guns..FML..Its really looking like I will get one that is .357/38 special since I already have 3 guns in this caliber, it makes shopping that much easier, and I have the reloading dies for this caliber..

22. BLH

BLH Member

Most of the time I would say a .22 would be sufficient in the head but you also need to have something bigger in case it doesn't do it. We have had some hogs that a .22 will not penetrate the skull and have to step up the caliber.

Might as well get the .44, it should work fine, and the seeing if the person can handle it is a good excuse to buy it...

23. D-FENS

D-FENS New Member

Personally I was surprised at how light the recoil was when I shot a Marlin .44

24. john in jax

john in jax New Member

Choosing the right bullet and being able to take out something vital trumps caliber every time. IMO the .44mag with a 240-300grain hardcast or JSP is every bit as capable of taking big game as any of your high power rifles . . . you just need to keep in mind that most of those high powered rifles are inherently more accurate at longer ranges than the .44mag carbine gun so you might want to keep your shots to 100 yards or less. Factors like a long 24" bbl, hand loading up perfect rounds for your gun, those Hornady LEVERevolution and lots of practice at longer distances can extend that range.

The .44mag lever gun would be great for a youth or 5'1", 115# girl. It does have a little kick but it won't hurt or intimidate them.

25. elgrapadora

elgrapadora New Member

Thanks for the awesome info! It really isnt the ballistics that Im deeply worried about, its more so the price of the ammunition. I know that a gun ranges prices are a bit higher than MSRP, so they can make money, but I really dont want to pay roughly 32$ for a box of 50. I searched around for .357/38spl and its about 26-28$ for a box of 50.