GUN lever-action anyone?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Harry Pothead, Jul 10, 2008.

1. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

Was wondering what are ya'lls thoughts about lever action rifles?

I've always wanted a lever-action but haven't had time to go check them out till today at Academy's.

Seems they have the new Moss 464 out which was a .30-30 @ $379 and also the Marlin .30-30 @ $379

I asked to see both Moss and Marlin, the Moss had a straight-grip stock and the marlin had a semi-pistol stock on it. Weight wise the marlin was lighter than the moss. But i'm sure all this info is floating on the internet somewhere :o I of course would be using for range / hunting.

The guy behind the counter seemed knowledgable saying Mossberg bought out winchester and is using the old school winchester body for the 464's (is he right?)

I'm still looking around probably going to hit up different places here in town. Pawn shops (even though they markup), gun shows (perhaps cheaper to bargin), local gun shop. etc etc...

Just wanted to hear ya'lls input.

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

I want an 1895XLR and a 39A. Then I'll be happy.

3. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

1) Browning bought out Winchester

2) Mossberg is shit

4. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

ah lol its browning thanks for clearing that up, yea seems the retailers have is marlin and mossberg :-/

5. cantankerously

cantankerously Active Member

Get the Marlin.

6. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

Cool i'll keep that in mind, i still would like to look around 10q sir

7. kf4zht

kf4zht New Member

marlin 336's are a sure bet. Mine is in .35 rem and is very accurate. Henry also make some good levers. Win '94s are good, but the value is going up since they stopped making them.

8. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Marlin if you are doing the lever.

I have one........ Would still much rather have a lightish Remmy 700 in a McM

9. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

I'll have to keep my eye out on these as I search around. I'm probably going to hit up the pawn shops. The only thing about that is guns are as-is could be shitty banged up and abused. Or mint new and shiny lol we'll have to see :o Its texas so i'm bound to find one sooner or later :big grin:

10. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I own a Marlin 336c in 30-30 and I love the thing. I'm sure you can get better smoother and nicer looking guns. However there is just something about the gun that makes it feel solid and trustworthy.

11. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

What is there to say? A lever action is probably the best all around rifle you could get. Simple, rugged as hell, calibers available for EVERY game on the planet.
    I made a huge mistake selling my 30-30 a long time ago. Every time I would take another rifle out for hunting/camping I would usually end up wishing it was the 94 instead.

And now I made the mistake of looking at Marlin's website and saw their new 308 express. shitshitshit. 308 performance in an LA platform.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 10, 2008
  12. texchef

texchef Guest

I have a Marlin 30-30. Bought it for deer hunting in west Texas. Shot my first 6 point with it. Got mine at Wal-Mart and mounted a $40 scope on it. Awsome gun and very accurate.

Wouldn't mind one in a higher caliber.

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I've always wondered how does a LA work in a caliber such as 308? I know in 30-30 the broad flat bullets make for great tub loading with less a greater contact area (ever greater than the primer, I think) between the bullet and the next round's primer, preventing a jolt from igniting the whole tube. So do you have to buy special bullets for a LA or have they come up with another layer of safety?

14. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

I :love: my 94.

15. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

http://www.hornady.com/story.php?s=198

16. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

They're either flat-nosed like 30-30 rounds to prevent magazine explosions like you've mentioned or you can load up Hornady's relatively new LeveRevolution rounds which feature a flexible ballistic tip designed to prevent sharp primer strikes in the magazine.

EDIT - evidently I need to submit my post in a more timely fashion...

17. mds2004

mds2004 OT Supporter

I have a Marlin in 44MAG and love it except for the price of ammo.

18. Willie J

Willie J New Member

I gave a Old Henry .22 and a winchester 30-30. Both are really fun guns

19. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

Seems not a lot of pawn shops have LA's Out of the oh 7 or so pawn shop i stopped by. 3 of them doesn't even carry firearms. 2 didn't even have any LA but the 2 that did have them they only had one.

First was a Marlin 30-30 On the barrel it said Glenfield Mod. 30A Ran about $277ish (if i remembered). Seems there was spots of rust on the barrel up and down it, dirt and grim between the barrel and tube. Stock was pretty much used and would need to be refinished. As for the action I wouldn't know how smooth or mechanical it should be :o never shot one before.

Second one was a Sears & Roebuck 30-30 had the JC Higgins name above it, seemed like it was kept in good condition. Barrel didn't have any rust or anything like that on it. It had the stock scope i believe, i didn't really check the name but on the front part of the scope it seemed to have been dropped and bent on the top part breaking the threading on the inside. They had the lever zipped tied. and this went for $228.

Still looking around, I need to stop by the local gun store located here to check what they got available

20. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

So i was doing my basic web research on both rifles i saw and here's what they say from wikianswers :o

Maybe I should just ask them if i can take the Marlin one for 150 bucks because of condition, and make it a project to restore :o But knowing pawn shops they don't wanna lose money, bastards.

21. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

knowing pawn shops they paid 50 bucks for the rifle if they are asking 225.
    Give them the 150 offer and see what happens.

22. Harry Pothead

Harry Pothead EAT IT!

Fucking pawn shop lol they actually were asking for 280 something for that Marlin and upon closer inspection it was more rusty then i thought. I told the guy 150 and he just said no, and i said good luck selling it and left.

I finally got out to the local gun shop and they were selling a win 94 for $384 i'm thinking of going and picking it up just to have a classic :o The gun seemed to be almost brand new, there was minimal wear on the feed tube it seemed kinda like a short barrel.

I checked out Bass pro shop then had some earlier '94s going for about a grand one that was marked 30 W.C.F was going for about 800

I'm guessing the one at the local gun store was a later made model perhaps, but i'm still considering it more and more

23. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

I want a Marlin in 45-70 :wtc:

24. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

^ This. With the 18" barrel (maybe with some muzzle ports, maybe not), and a ghost ring/post iron sight setup. Load 'em as hot and heavy as I can stand (the gun, too), and keep it in the trunk.

25. idleprocess

idleprocess Bring a dollar with you baby in the cold cold grou

You can get a new Marlin 336 for about what the gun shop was asking for that used 1894. The problem with the 1894 is that after 1964, quality went way down (Winchester shut their rifle factory doors for a while for a reason).

30 WCF is 30-30 / 30-30 Winchester.