GUN lettuce talk rifles

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by phrozenlikwid, Nov 16, 2009.

1. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Any new builds going on? Anyone playing with anything worth talking about?

Soon as this season is over I think my 243 killing stick is going in to be de-sucktified. Need something new, and blowing the minds of those not in the know is always a good time.

Got much love for the 6mm's, so I'm weighing heavily on "improving" my 243. Have a Rock 6mm tube sitting here, but it's the wrong contour for what I'm wanting in this rifle, so I'll prolly look to snag something else. Thinking a 22" #4 contour, balanced out with a McM Classic. Twisted 1:8 of course, and throated in accordance with the 105Amax/85TSX. A "safe" blueprint, but one of my favorites.

On the flipside, dabbling in the quarter bore's has intrigued me as of late, and the prospect of a 25-284 has peaked some interest in me. Hear it does terrible terrible things to flesh.....

Could always just flip the 243 and run the hammer of god (7wsm), but that might not even be fair :rofl:

Where you guys at?

2. I'm sure my newest build is well known, so I won't rehash it all here. Why are you thinking of a 22" though?

3. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

my 2nd AK should be done very soon (Romy-G kit with Ironwood furniture) :x:

2nd AR is at a standstill waiting for a T1

4. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

Probably going to order a reciever and build my bulgy 74 in december some time.

5. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I don't have any desire to go longer, as I'm wanting handy/dandy. Could probably go 20", but the 243AI has the horsepower and I'm not wanting to completely cock-block it out of the gate. I'm planning on going for broke and getting 3500 out of the TSX :eek3:

6. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

AK?!?! AR's?!!?!?!??

In MY rifle thread? What is this faggotry!?!!?

7. I was thinking even shorter. Obviously less velocity and more wind drift, but more handy in the field.

8. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I need some real optics for my T3. :hs:

9. NF or better or go home.

10. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

22" isn't bad. Balances fucking beautiful with the McM classic handle, which I love. If I was gonna go real short, I'd prolly run a sub-#1 with a MR pattern (or maybe even a gay Brown "pounder") instead and try for something real stupid (like 5lb or so).

11. You are speaking an alien language.

12. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I wish. :hs:

I just need something with a bit better magnification than 4x. I've got a 40 year old Tasco that's holding fine but I'd like something more suitable for target shooting. 4x is fine for hunting deer in my part of Texas, hell you don't even need a scope.

I thought about maybe a Zeiss or good Leupold.

13. I've heard positive things about the Bushnell 3200 series, and Laurel has a 4200 on her 700 and it's a perfectly fine scope.

14. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Sub #1 is an ultralight contour. Emphasis on the "ultra".

MR pattern = McM Mountain Rifle stock, which houses lightweight tubes better than most.

Brown Pounder = Brown Precision "pounder" stock. It gets it's name because it weighs 1lb. It's gay because the ergos kinda suck, and the fucking things require 40 days of sanding/inletting them to get them into usable shape.

15. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I need to take a better look at those, I've heard good things. I'll never do anything special with the rifle as it's mainly a hunting rig so I just want something that will work and I won't have to replace anytime soon.

16. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:rofl: rifles, nga

17. Thank you for the translation. You should just go build some ARs and speak our language. What would the all-up weight of this thing be?

18. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

I really like the Leupold FX-3 12x40. I've always liked fixed power scopes, less to go wrong. I just wish there were more to choose from.

19. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Going really short can be intriguing, though I would prefer doing it in something that doesn't have such powder/bore ratio as a 243AI. I've always wanted to really push the limits, and do something like a 16" 7/08 done up to be in the 5lb range. Shit would be craaaaaazy.

While handy/dandy is/has been/will be where it's out, you have to put things in perspective. The swing to usable rifles is nothing but a popularity swing (though one I certainly prefer) brought on by years of people wanting 30" straight cylinder rifles thinking they had something to gain out of the deal (in the tactical world, much of which holding over from the days of the AMU/MTU originally spec'ing the M40 with BR type barrels).

With the advent of turrets, LRF's, and high BC bullets, the need for this kind of shit is unnecessary. You can simply do more with less, and this seemingly has been "remembered" in the past few years. Like many things, this kind of shit is cyclical. Look at barrel technology for an example. Gain twist, stainless, cut rifled - these are not new concepts (though the ideas have been melded with improvements in other areas for tangable benefits not seen at original inception). That certain sects of the firearms world remember them on a drunken lark and find a new messiah to start extolling the virtues associated doesn't shadow the fact that this has all been done 100 years prior. What was hot in the BR world a decade or two ago is now starting to become popular amongst the AR crowd.

So the handy/dandy thing is coming back in vogue, which is cool. Glad to see. Realize that everything is a cost/benefit kinda thing though, and be quick to separate the reasoning from the guys who are chopping off barrels because they heard on SH it was the cool thing to do. I expect this fad too will run its course, and I await for pictures of SBR'd 338L's from dumbfucks who haven't a clue to really kick the swing back in another direction.

20. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

I do not consort with those of the Chris Costa race.

Hoping for mid 7's in lb'age.

Fixed stuff doesn't get the credibility it deserves anymore, especially Leupy's line. Though a 12x is pretty harsh for field work, and I couldn't honestly recommend something like that for GP duties.

You should really take a look at the M8/FXIII 6x42. Glass DOES NOT get any easier to use. Combine it with M1 turrets and you have the definition of utility.

21. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

Barrel went out today, BTW. USPS is bringing it.

22. phrozenlikwid

phrozenlikwid New Member

For conversation..... this is what 5lb 5oz looks like:

[​IMG]

23. bigman7903

bigman7903 OT Supporter

LRB Arms - put the order in this past January, still waiting :hs:

M25 Rifle......................$2249.00

22" med wt c/l Barrel.....$80.00 (Designated Marksman Barrel)

Titanium gas piston.......$32.95

LRB muzzle brake.........$50.00

Extended bolt stop.........$39.95

N/M spring guide............$32.95

N/M Trigger....................$70.00

Total: $2554.85

24. minus

minus Damn you, Damn the Broccoli, and Damn the Wright B

You know what I have. I just need to go shoot it. When it comes killing time I have a 44 mag 1894 that will take any 2 or 4 legged creature at the distances I will find here.

25. Cannondale

Cannondale OT Supporter

The 6x does seem a bit better suited for what I'd be doing with it. I'd be sticking with the turrets with covers, nothing like missing the shot of the day because your turrets got clicked around in the brush.