GUN Lettuce talk about Carbine Classes.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Rip The Jacker, May 12, 2009.

1. Rip The Jacker

Rip The Jacker New Member

I'm thinking of taking a class this summer. Now my first question is, if I were limited to one class this summer, should it be Magpul's carbine class, or Awerbuck's handgun course? I'm leaning towards the carbine class because it seems like it would be more interesting, its closer to my house, there would be some handgun work as well.

Now if I take the carbine course I would need some extra gear. They say you should be able to carry 5 mags, I'd rather do this in jeans and a t-shirt, but am I pretty much limited to some sort of vest? I dont want to look like one of those tacticool jerkoffs I see in Art of the Tactical Carbine :o

For my AR, its a run of the mill m4gery that I built, I was just going to add a sling and aimpoint on top of a CTR stock, moe grip, and moe handguard.Is this sufficient? I'd have my G17 as my secondary.

Anything I'm not thinking of?

2. ChipOnShoulder

ChipOnShoulder New Member

I had a plate carrier a while back, but then i thought about it:

I'll probably never, ever need something like this. And in a civil unrest scenario, it'd increase my profile and make me a target.

So i sold it off.

A simple chest rig holding 8 rifle mags and 2 pistol mags is $50 from Blackhawk (got 25% off from Quantico). Tactical tailor makes something similiar.

Even more ideal, a molle belt or competition shooter belt with blade tech mag holders, and mags in your pockets would make the most "sense" for a civilian. Going to AOTC 1 in Portland, will try to go through the course carrying the least amount of stuff as possible.

I really agree that civilians who go through rifle courses with full on tactical gear is retarded. The whole "train like you fight" thing went in one ear and out the other for most. The one time I ever needed my rifle, I was wearing just my boxers shorts.

3. Rip The Jacker

I've been looking at alot of pics of SpecOps in Vietnam, those guys were wearing less stuff than people in AOTC for multiple day missions. I think if I got into a SHTF scenerio...I'd want to be as lightweight as possible. And like you said, normal looking.

4. Rip The Jacker

Yes it would be more practical without a doubt. It doesnt interest me as much however, so I have to decide usefulness vs. fun.

5. Rip The Jacker

I'm going to look like a big retard anyway. Aint too worried about it :o

6. pyite

pyite Member

Wat?

Details?

7. Rip The Jacker

In bed I'm guessing...

8. Rip The Jacker

I'm guessing not alot of people have taken classes?

9. Rip The Jacker

Do the guys from the DVD always teach, or are there other instructors?

10. ChipOnShoulder

Yep.

Fast asleep at 2 in the morning, wake up to the sound of smashing glass and someone doing a smash and grab on my car. It was just property, so I didn't really "need" the rifle, but it was nice to have just in case the confrontation turned violent. Luckily, i scared off the messican drug addict lady with just my light and voice. "WTF BISH!!! GTFO my car!"

I had just read about a WoW/Airsoft nerd in northern Seattle who had blown the brains out of a messican gang member trying to jack his car stereo with a K-98K, and wasn't interested in entering a legal gray zone.

Not fun at all, didn't match my couch commando fantasy of fighting off a horde of zombies from the top of a school bus filled with national champion cheerleaders.

Like you said, handgun classes are practical, rifle classes are fun. I'm more interested in having fun honestly.

11. ChipOnShoulder

Patrick Garcia is the new guy, I just got an e-mail from him regarding ammo supplies for the upcoming class. He's a former Marine like Travis.

Last edited: May 12, 2009
  12. Rip The Jacker

I'll email them to see who's instructing the class I want to go to.

13. Rip The Jacker

if i do go with a vest i think i'll rock this. $70 :hs:

[​IMG]

14. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Why not just do some research and buy a TT MAV or an Eagle PHUTV or something?

The only thing worse than a civilian wearing gear is a civilian wearing shitty gear.

15. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

Both are way more useable in a sort of situation you might find yourself in with a carbine too.

16. Rip The Jacker

I dont want to wear any gear. I was just bored looking through shit on cheaperthandirt, I was gonna do real research if I buy one. Thanks for the suggestions though.

17. Rip The Jacker

I cant find the Eagle PHUTV though?

18. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

19. Rip The Jacker

Thanks. I like full vest style though, they look more comfortable. The ones you posted look like the straps might dig into the skin, no?

20. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

they're not

and no

and you don't have plates, so don't get a plate carrier

21. Rip The Jacker

gotcha. thanks for the info.

22. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

[​IMG]

I have posted this pic before, but here it is again. This is a very cumbersome and poorly designed rig but it does what I want in one package. I only own this because it holds SAPI plates. Otherwise, I would wear one of my other rigs like the PHU..CR, I guess it's called now, or a hand-rolled MAV copy in conjunction with a first line MOLLE belt or something.

I can hold a jillion mags, a radio and an IFAK - this is of course, for the impending race war or zombie attack.

Or...you could just get what I just linked, have it weigh (and cost) 1/5th as much, breathe a million times better and be way, way more mobile.

23. Rip The Jacker

yeah that makes sense. especially in the summer when i'll be taking the class.

24. Rip The Jacker

just input i guess. i'm bored, wanted to read about other's experiences, what they took, wish they took, etc.

25. Razardica

Razardica Active Member

I really wish I had taken Magpul Carbine when it was offered here.

Whoever was promoting it did a pisspoor job and only posted it on the state forum, and not you know, any of the other national forums catering towards high-end people (ST, LF, GotX), just the state forum...which is full of inbred hicks and retards, and then they were surprised when it got canceled due to LACK OF INTEREST.

I about shit my pants when I saw they were gonna offer it here at Ben Avery (such a sick range) and that it was cancelled.