Lettuce discuss the state of gaming

Discussion in 'Gamers' Pulse' started by Los, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Los

Los Active Member

[I'm bored at work and need some entertainment]

What are your thoughts about what's going on today?

The success of the Wii?

Microsoft's RRoD 360?

Playstation 3?

The relevency of the iphone as a gaming medium?

2. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

I'm wondering about how long this generation of consoles is going to last, and how it will hold back PC gaming. We already knew ps3 was in it for the long run, but now there are rumors that microsoft is as well. That the xbox slim, will be more like a repackaged xbox 360 natal much like the Wii is a repackaged motion sensing gamecube. That would be really lame, since DirectX 11 and the latest openGL are fucking amazing.

3. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

PS3 > 360 by a tiny amount. Wii in dead last.

4. Los

Los Active Member

It'd be interesting to see how much better the games can look with their already dated hardware. Then the issue of quallity gaming comes to mind... which is hit/miss with all three of the big manufactures and 3rd party publishers.

Sony has made strides into closing the gap on the 360 worldwide but in the US, its still a distant third. What gives?

5. kaldurak

kaldurak Gimme some sugar baby.

Right now their issue is Supply. People are looking to buy the PS3's now, but Noone has them in stock for purchase.

6. Fotenks

Fotenks New Member

I haven't had supply problems in my region, and I am also looking to buy a PS3. I already sold my Wii a while ago since it was a dust collector, but now my 360 is a dust collector as well, so I've been thinking of selling it for PS3 cash :mamoru: I WANT DAT DEMON SOULS

7. FINALBOSS

FINALBOSS

I can't seem to find PS3s anywhere.

8. Los

Los Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

We have a Wii supply issue here. But there are plenty of 360s and PS3s to go around.

Manipulate supply to manipulate demand. classic.

9. Snoopy007

Snoopy007 #´・ω・)っ且~ OT Supporter

it's great that the wii has sold well since its debut, and it's always amusing to see how butthurt people are over its unexpected success. that being said, i think the wii is going to need some really good titles in the works if it wants to continue its success. super mario galaxy 2 is the only big one that's nearing release, as we don't even know anything about the new zelda. what other upcoming wii titles are people looking forward to (i don't know since i haven't checked at all)? wii fit can still carry the wii through for now, but something else has to take its place soon amidst the piles of shovelware the system is buried under.

the 360 is also a great system. it has a robust online community, and gets some great games. i'm not a fan of the whole live subscription to play online, but i can respect its success. the RRoD seem to be its only major flaw, but the rate has gone down significantly from the initial launch of the console, and from what i understand, MS has been very willing to replace the broken systems. i think project natal looks kind of silly, but it's too early to say, and it only makes sense for MS and sony to try to get in on the whole motion-sensing gaming experience that nintendo currently dominates.

PS3 has always struck me as the slow and steady sort of system. there were very few games at first, but as developers become more acquainted with the system's technology and able to utilize the hardware, there will be better and better games. i'm pretty excited to see future PS3 titles, but not so much on the motion-sensing stuff.

i can't say much about iphone gaming since i don't have one, but i guess it's getting more popular, since it eliminates the need to bring another handheld console in addition to your phone if you want to game on the go.

10. Los

Los Active Member

The discussion isn't limited to just the topics I suggested. Hopefully this thread goes on for a bit.

I still don't buy the whole motion sensor thing. My gf has a wii and other than the new super mario wii, it never gets touched.

11. Snoopy007

well, it's not for everyone. that's why it's great to have different competing systems. if one console doesn't satisfy you, then you can choose from others.

i really like the wii, but i can understand people who don't :hug:

12. Los

Los Active Member

Lately I've been disgusted with MMOs and the over-reliance on other people to progress, which takes me back to single player games... but lately there isn't much that interests me.

So I've been playing Madden 10 and getting reamed on All-Madden.

13. Snoopy007

i enjoy games that put collaboration over competition, but i see where you're coming from.

i haven't really been interested in any games lately, either, so i've just been playing some NBA2K10 :mamoru:

14. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

to me it seems like innovation is extremely lacking in today's market. Company's are depending more and more on cash cows. But I guess since the wii sells the most and nintendo is by far the worst abuser of the cash cow system, it seems to be a winning combo. Don't get me wrong though, there have been good smaller developer games out there, but by and large we are getting the same games over and over.

15. FunkyMunniez

FunkyMunniez Active Member

The wii has a lot of solid titles coming out this year. Metroid Other M and Super Mario Galaxy 2 are confirmed for the first half. Red Steel 2 and cavestory just came out. Monster Hunter Tri, NBA Jam, an exclusive Sands of Time PoP, Xenoblade, Arc Rise Fantasia, and Zelda Wii which will be unveiled at E3 and TBA for the end of the year - all slated for 2010.

Over all though, I like where gaming is heading as long as the option between motion and standard controls continue to exist. Whether people like it or not, Nintendo is dragging the gaming industry, kicking and screaming, towards virtual reality. Games are developing more mature themes (No Russian, the handling of sex between characters in ME and Dragon Age, the gritty violence found in World at War) and have reached a new level of depth and scope. Also, gaming has become a socially acceptable hobby now, also thanks to Nintendo and the advent of online gaming. It's amazing to be able to connect to friends, family, and strangers across the globe with online multiplayer access.

That being said, there are also plenty of things wrong with the current state of gaming. The advent of DLC has been both a blessing and a curse. Games are being released unpolished and with less content that will be sold to you later for additional fees. All of which could have been included/fixed before the games release, and used to before the capability of hard drive storage. Whether or not it's related, I'm sure DLC has caused the new standard game to be 10 to 12 hours long. A decent amount of time to be sure for one playthrough, but games used to have more when it was compared to it's storage medium. We have Blu-ray now. There's no reason to be using 25% of the storage on there. Periphreals are out of control (I'm looking at you Nintendo). Every week a new piece of plastic comes out that is completely unnecessary but people still buy it up, and then necessary periphreals are expensive as hell (Move will cost you 100 bucks, a current wii mote setup is about 80, natal...who knows).

Things I'd like to see in the future:

- Death of the linear game. Sure, games like an FPS are pretty straight forward. You have an objective, and a hoard of baddies in your way. Go. But the games can be made better if the things you do actually have an impact on the game. In bad company 2, you destroy satellite uplinks. Wouldn't it be awesome if every satellite uplink you destroyed messed with enemy communications so when you got to the final mission, the enemy has little intel on your forces making it easier to strike because they don't know you're coming? How about different pathways to travel? Don't like charging the main gate? Give me the option to flank around to the rear gate and sneak in. If I'm exploring a facility, lets making more branching corridors that can lead you in a wrong direction or bring you around enemies. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories gave you a map that was completely explorable. There were no locked doors that you couldn't open, no room would be left unchecked.

- More interaction with the gaming environment. Bad Company 2 has done an amazing job with the environment. If your enemy is hiding behind something, blow up his cover, bring the building down on him, make a crater to hide in, tear down the trees. Game developers want immersion, so let's make environments that you can really interact with. If you get an FPS game with a facility that you can explore every room of and you get lost on the way to your objective, instead of turning and back tracking, let's give the player the option of breaching a wall or two.

- Stronger emphasis on local multiplayer. It's already started, but it needs to keep going. Online is great, but nothing beats the good old days of having 4 friends over, getting a stack of pizzas and Mt. Dew and playing 80 straight rounds of Goldeneye.

- New IP's. We'll all play Mario Galaxy 8, but let's face it, developers are taking less risks these days with new games. Whether its Rockband Miley Cirus or Call of Duty: the Soccer War, we're getting too many sequels. New risks need to be taken to move the industry, otherwise it gets bland and people lose interest in gaming.

16. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

they need to make a wwii shooter from the german perspective, now that is innovative.

17. Los

Los Active Member

MODERN WARFARE ISNT REVOLUTIONARY!?

18. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

this. There is absolutely no excuse for games like mw2 and bfbc2 to not have local co-op campaigns. Some of the best times I've had was playing vegas 2 with a buddy.

19. ErwinRommel

ErwinRommel New Member

but, but production values, like WOAH.

20. Los

Los Active Member

I like the idea of online multiplayer co-opping. I dislike the fact of multiplayer deathmatch and team games that is basically killing people.

I liked how R6 had the terrorist missions. Build on that. Make some of these stand-alone campaigns more exciting by adding new and different elements.

Case and point:

Lets say you and 3 others on XBL or at home are playing COD2 (i use this because i really like the game). The basic mission is search and destroy in Bordeaux, France. When you guys are pew pewing your way through some houses, you get a call saying that there are prisoners trapped on the fourth floor of some obscure building in some obscure place in obscure France. So you and your team head out there, pew pew some more and save the prisoners.

The next day, you play the same map under the same starting conditions and BAM - you're running to AAs because you're suddenly in the middle of a blitzkreig.

Pure.
    Random.
    Gameplay.

21. Los

Los Active Member

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Quality gaming includes good story. MW2 lost it after they saved the scottish captain. I was like :coolugh:

22. Snoopy007

omg cave story and mosnter hunter :love:

new zelda slated for 2010? really? seems kind of unlikely given that we haven't even heard anything about it

so true. totally sucks that DLC means charging for things that should have been in the game in the first place, but it also means that an old game can get new content and potentially give it great replay value.

while we would like innovative games, great titles like psychonauts go largely unnoticed, and developers who spend time on making these novel games are not rewarded for their efforts, which further discourages the gaming industry from putting anything out that doesn't ride on something predictable that gamers are comfortable with and guaranteed to make a decent sell.

23. Snoopy007

:werd:

spec ops on mw2 just wasn't nearly as good as a co-op campaign would have been :sad2:

24. Los

Los Active Member

Advent Rising was hot. :bowdown:

25. SBrooks1

SBrooks1 GOAT OT Supporter

I've been a long time pro-360 gamer but lately I've grown to playing games on my PS3. I like how trophies get posted on my Facebook and I just like the overall GUI better than the 360's. I think I'll always play multiplayer games on 360 but single player games I'll buy for PS3 if they are cross platform.