GUN Lets talk nightsites

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Want2race, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

So why do I need them?
    My honest logic says, if someones going to attak me at night, the last thing I am going to do is aim using the sites, Its going to be spray and pray!

Additionally, most hand guns arent sniper rifles, They dont have that level of precision that you NEED to see what your shooting at.

I would think the light difference between the sites and a potentially dark target is enough to confuse the brain and delay the shot.

With all that said, Are night sites just like recoil rod replacement? Everyone wants them but no one knows why ?

Lets keep this civil :p

2. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

you shoot how you practice

/thread

3. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

You can argue that if it's too dark to see your sights, it's too dark to shoot. When shooting at night, it's much easier to pick up on that sight again after the muzzle flash.

4. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

But the army taught me to keep my eyes on the target, not on the sites/gun!

5. 2L Bunny

2L Bunny "It's only a Rabbit"

If anyone's done any handgun training. Remember "Front sight...Press" This is how shots are fired when you want to hit something. If you pick up Ayoob's Ayoob Files book there is one consistancy with most of the people. They either missed until they took the time to see their front sight, or they saw their front sight the whole time and got good hits.

And like has been mentioned, if it's too dark to see your sights.....DON"T SHOOT That's what lights are for.

6. Gimik

Gimik New Member

I do better with nightsights... :dunno: I've taken no classes though, so maybe they're better for the untrained?

Edit: After thinking about it for a bit, when the sites are very clear/bright, I concentrate on them less and on the target more. I think that's a good thing.

7. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

I find I could often identify a target and not see my sights. There are lots of places street light falls into my house that would illuminate someone in the door way but not where I would be. It makes it easier to find and grab my gun in the dark, and easier to reacquire the sights after a flash. You might point shoot, you might not. I'll personally keep buying them.

8. footratfunkface

footratfunkface New Member

The Army taught you wrong. There is a school of thought that involves unsighted shooting, called pointshooting. It's controversial, and you'll have to do your own research.

However, to shoot well (and defending your life is one of those critical times when shooting well is kind of important), you'll want to actually use the sights. You want to focus on the front sight, not the rear, not the target. The front sight. Get some low-light sights, like Mepro's or the Big Dot sights. I have found that my daytime shooting is better with Mepros than with plain target sights.

If you just plan to spray and pray, you're already done. Just don't bother shooting.

9. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

:hsugh:

10. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

Obviously not.. i survived and my enemies did not! :fawk:

11. footratfunkface

Yeah, Tom, most instructors who are proficient enough in pointshooting to teach it are able to get their students at least to a workable level of proficiency in the method by the end of a class, from what I've read. I've tried pointshooting, and it does work, but it takes a different type of shooting, and practice to make it work. I myself don't know when nor how to turn it on and off, and have taken no classes on it, so I don't confuse myself by doing it very often.

I have found that one instance when pointshooting is more useful to ME than any other time is using a suppressor on a pistol. On a 9mm, unless you use elevated sights, you're going to be staring into the back of the can. Now, I know where the front sight is, and can hold about as tight a group with and without the can using aimed fire, even if I can't see the WHOLE target due to the suppressor. However, pointshooting allows this same level of accuracy with practice, and you can see the whole target. With a suppressor, this method is pretty useful, and I have watched my buddy use it with no formal training in pointshooting, to kill squirrels with his Buckmark suppressed by an AAC Pilot.

All that said, I disagree on the fact that you won't use your sights in a fight. It might take training, but you will do it if you train enough to do so. I'm taking this from the words of Dave Harrington, a man who is pretty good at gunfighting, and shooting in general. He's served two terms as an instructor at the JFK Warfare College, in addition to a ballzillion other instructor spots, and has been in one or two gunfights. He's also an IPSC Master and shoots for the S&W team. One thing he said is that no matter how fast you shoot (and he shoots pretty fucking fast), there is always time to use the sights. He says that every shot he takes is aimed. So, it's a training issue, to me, more than a fighting issue. The training side of it may just take longer with aimed fire under stress than with pointshooting.

12. footratfunkface

Please stop talking.

13. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

:rolleyes:
    you missed the point entirely

14. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

But they taught you to "spray and pray" too? Sounds to me like you were training with the Zarqawi army, not the US army...

15. Want2race

Want2race Fearless

See the flag over there
    <------

16. Alphaeus

Alphaeus New Member

So the Isreali army taught you the spray and pray technique? No wonder your war with palestine never ends. You guys should start aiming carefully, and end that fucker. :mamoru:

17. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Don't forget they also teach people to carry without a round chambered :big grin:

18. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

:werd: I never had an instructor try to teach me "pointshooting"

19. Thunderbear

Thunderbear Yggdrasil's Forester.

Me neither, but I damn sure wish I did. One day I'm going to look up brownie and train with him.

20. Artyboy

Artyboy Necessity is the excuse for every infringement of

I was 11b at Ft Cambell and I got out about 6 years ago. I was a machine gunner for most of my stint so if they had training like that for the riflemen they left me out of it. I don't remember a whole lot about what they had other people do.

21. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

I practice both... anything inside 7 yards I just have down to muscle memory... out beyond that, or any shot REQUIRING precision... (think hostage/body armor) and I'll get down on the sites...

Back to the thread starter: sights of any kind are just like guns. Find what you personally are comfortable with. I don't care for night sights, even in low light situations. I've found when doing room clearing drills, I'm not even getting on my sights, I usually have those distances just down in muscle memory...

CLIFFS: Shoot more, develop the muscle memory, and reduce your reliance on sights close range, because as stated, when you get the adrenaline dump, you'll forget you even paid for em...

22. 2L Bunny

Just to throw this out there. Regarding point shooting or other non-aimed shots.

Remember every bullet that comes out of your gun has the possibility of a lawer attached to it on the end. Ponit shoot if absolutely nessesary, but sighted fire is much better. Wasn't it the FBI that used to train point shooting up close with wheel guns? wonder why they don't do it anymore.

23. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

They don't do it because none of thier agents actually shoot enough to be good at it.

Here in Texas, we don't necessarilly have to to worry about the "every bullet costs XXXX dollars" thing... atleast, not as much as many other states...

24. 2L Bunny

Criminally I hear ya, but it's the civil case that will bankrupt you.

25. RonJeremey

RonJeremey OT Supporter

This is a common urban legend. I recently went to a speech given by Charles Cotton (he wrote large chunks of the Texas concealed handgun law, sits on the board of the TSRA, NRA contributer, etc.) and in Texas, if the shooting was justified, you cannot be sued in civil court. :bowdown: Texas!