let's talk kitchen countertops (okay, concrete ones)

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ace3, Mar 4, 2008.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

one thing i haven't done any research on. we're going to be building a house soon, and I need to get my ideas straight.

the way i see it, there's 3 choices for me
    - granite
    - corian
    - concrete

The sink will most likely be stainless. The appliances will most likely be black (unless i can talk her into a Viking range, but i'm not holding my breath).

Corian seems like it scratches too easily, so that's out (if that's true). Looks nice, but i don't want to baby it.

Granite is nice, but is a rather stout upgrade in price. I'd like to spend the $$ elsewhere if possible, but it's still a choice.

I've never seen a concrete countertop in person, but in the pictures i've seen, it looks fantastic. Are there any downsides to it? How's it priced compared to Corian or Granite? Do they sand it down to get a smoother finish? How well does it hold up (i would imagine quite well)?

:dunno:

2. monkeymunzey

monkeymunzey Guest

Silestone is greatttt

3. Tetragrammaton

Tetragrammaton New Member

you can polish concrete, will give it a clean look

4. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

ooh, what about soapstone?

5. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

doing some research, looks like concrete is as expensive, if not more, than most granites.

i have a feeling that's out.

6. JayDC7

JayDC7 oh my god it's sasquatch!?

DIY concrete? your thread inspired me to look it up and it doesnt seem THAT labor intensive and the customizable finish is worth it in my eyes.

7. Brujo

Brujo New Member

quartz countertops are an option, though I honestly know nothing about them :dunno:

8. cedric

cedric I don't have a contract

soapstone is supposed to patina over time. Take a look at it.

You also might want to consider quartz composites. They're cheaper than a lot of materials and the look is still very clean and durable.

As much as I used to like concrete, it's not worth what it costs. Manufacturers and builders are pricing it out like a premium material based on popularity alone. Yes, it comes in a ton of colors because of pigment additives, but you can get better materials for cheaper. Plus, I don't think it'll be in style much longer :hs:

9. cedric

the great thing about granite and marble is that there is such a huge variety out there that you can pick and chose to match your color palette.

There are some amazing granites out there with flecks of blue in them that are absolutely stunning. from there you can match tiles to them for backsplashes and also wood finishes for the floors etc. It's a great versatile material :hs:

10. cedric

No matter what you get, make sure that it's properly sealed. Any stone will stain if you don't seal it well.

That being said, also look into slate and limestone as options :hs:

11. :|

:| Guest

i saw a kitchentop that was finished with gneiss, was really nice..but it really darkens your kitchen

12. Gomer

Gomer New Member

I'll snap some pictures for you tomorrow or the next day of slab granite counter top with stainless bottom mount sink and all black Kenmore Elite appliances.

13. Gomer

Gomer New Member

I've seen gneiss before too, very unique and nice look but quite expensive.

14. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

you can oil soapstone. i remember doing it in science class. :o

the only big downside to soapstone is if you hit it wrong, you can bust CHUNKS of it off. Other than that, it's pretty badass

15. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

:bigthumb:

16. johnny

johnny shit, baby

I love concrete countertops if they are done well. A dyed concrete countertop could be cool.

17. DVS SHO 93

DVS SHO 93 machine of hate

I know travertine is not recommended for countertops because it is so porous and i would think limestone would be similar.

18. cedric

it won't if it's properly sealed. Any countertop material (except for maybe stainless steel) will stain if it's not sealed :o

19. Seditionist

Seditionist wandering star

Why not try a bamboo counter top? Concrete/stainless steel is fairly passe.

20. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

Concrete is going to look very, very dated in about a year.

We have stainless steel appliances (Miele mainly) dusky coloured panelling and granite. Pretty classic and stylish look imo. Not going to date in 6 months like Concrete. Very 2007.

21. Seditionist

:bigthumb:

22. cedric

Contrary to what you may believe, appliances and finishes don't date as quickly in interior design as they do in fashion. People have been saying that stainless appliances were going to go out of style 5 years ago, and guess what? They're still by far the most desirable finish.

Concrete's been popular for for the last decade, and it's not going to just disappear in a year. If anything, it's just past its peak, because the fact that it's in style has made it so expensive that people are actually turning back to granite and marble.

It's still going to be popular for the next 5 to 10 years, because of the versatility it provides. Costs will drop again and people who are looking to cut corners and match a very specific color palette will see viable alternatives in materials like Geocrete and other derivatives.

It may not be original anymore, but it's not going to go anywhere, and to say that it's going to look dated in a year is like saying that granite was dated in the 90's. :o

23. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

Hmmm, guess it depends how it is done.

Looking back over a few of our projects we did a high end small apartment complex by the beach in about 03. Each apartment was individually done inside.

One of them was done in a very industrial style. Rough concrete benchtops, polished concrete floor, stainless and all that. Looked good for about 3 years and now just looks like someone jumped on a fad and didn't let go in time.

Another one was finished with granite, stainless and that kind of look. Yeah, not cutting edge when it was done, but still looks pretty good.

But concrete can be done ok if it doesn't look too much like concrete. Did another project which used dyed and polished concrete countertops which surprised me (and the marketing people) on how well it worked.

To the OP. You looked into Caesarstone at all?

24. cedric

it depends entirely on how it's done and what it's combined with. The reason that the industrial space you described stopped looking good was because the entire space was done in concrete. If you repeat any material that much, it's going to look bad after a while.

Even if the concrete counters were just sealed, it'd probably look fine. It's not just one material, it's the complete project.

Unless you use Formica, then you're just a douche :o

25. Seditionist

While people will still continue to get concrete and granite counter tops... the trend in interior, especially kitchen design seem to be more of an organic, green, if you will element.